Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

digital fuel meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

sadanandpatil

In India and other developing countries, there is lot of fraud in petrol stations. All the existing fuel meters do not give how much is filled in the tank by the station person. My thought is to come up with a digital fuel meter which says what is the current level in the tank and after filling the fuel, what is the new level, and also a difference to indicate the amount of fuel dispensed.
so can you please send me the circuit diagram or schematic diagram or any rough ideas to improve my projects

Be cautious. If you insert an electrical probe into a fuel tank it could, unless properly designed, cause an explosion!

India is not supposed to be a developing country from my point of view.

It possesses nuclear weapons being much more complicated than a simple gasoline counter.

If you doubt the amount being filled in your gas tank you'll have to measure your gas tank, to the least amount of fuel for each tank level.

Gas tanks are not built straight as fish tanks. So you have to take care of that as well.

I know there are some things not running straight and honest in Asia, living in Thailand.

You'll waste your time to find out what is really fed into your tank. A better way would be to use a calibrated flow meter hooked up between the providing hose and your tank to calculate the actual fuel flow - and then recalculated in liters/gallons or similar.

Boncuk

Is the tank pretty much straight-line accessible through the fill cap neck? Simplest...calibrated dip-stick. Make a thin wooden dip stick that will reach the bottom for your tank. Empty your tank. Refill the tank, a fraction of a liter at a time. Insert and measure the height of the fuel on the dipstick after every addition. Mark the levels on the dip stick. Numbers for liters and tick-marks for fractions. Next time you refuel, measure the level before and after the fill. Compare your measurement with the station's claim. Analog, not digital, but simple and cheap.

Ken

ok. its cheap. but as am an electronic student. i have to make electronic projects. so. i need help about ckt dig. and components to use

Just use the dipstick method and have a microcontroller calculate for fuel amount according the measured fuel level. Use the ball connected to a pot for level reference.

The program should have look up tables to be used according to the measurements to display directly in liters/gallons.

Use interpolation for fractions of liters/gallons.

Boncuk

ok. its cheap. but as am an electronic student. i have to make electronic projects. so. i need help about ckt dig. and components to use

What areas of electronics have you studied and have achieved enough working knowledge to start? Basic component theory? Analog? Digital? Microcontrollers? It would help us to help you if we knew.

Ken

using micro controller and led's.but i'm not getting how to measure fuel from tank. it must varying as we riding the bike ?????

Why not come up with a device that connects to the fuel fill nozzle and measure the amount of actual fuel coming out of the gas station pump?
a fuel safe flow meter possibly?A fuel flow meter on your fuel line would aid in determine amount of fuel being used.
Fill tank completely full, drive until fuel gauge says empty. See how much fuel flowed to the engine and compare to the tank fill up amount.
Go to a station with an empty fuel can, fill it up with EXACTLY 5 gallons and compare with pump reading. Calibrate your gas can by using a measuring cup to measure out 5 gallons for calibrating the gas can.

Hi,

If you have suspicions in one particular gas station, it is easy, go with a known volume container, ask him to fill it, and read his meter. Very easy :)

EDIT: by the way, I've seen the gas station man doing so for quick check for his meter calibration.

Last edited:
Google: capacitive fuel level circuit
Google: pressure liquid level circuit

Ken

hello i also know that simple thing .......but actually i want to do the project based on electronics not this container business if u have some technical advises about this fuel meter then give

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back