1. Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
    Dismiss Notice

digital clock with software (Quartus II 9.0)

Discussion in 'Electronic Projects Design/Ideas/Reviews' started by A.H.Z.1987, Jun 6, 2009.

1. A.H.Z.1987

A.H.Z.1987 New Member

Hi all,

I'm a student in 2nd year of electrical engineering, and a doctor wants from me to design a digital clock using FPGA .

now, my questions are :

1- What is FPGA refers to ?
    2- What is the simplest flip-flop I should use ?

the problem is that i must submit it next thursday
    can you help me with some figures and/or procedures ?

I will be grateful.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  2. Mr RB

Mr RB Well-Known Member

Umm you don't know what a FPGA is, and now you need to learn programming FPGA's and make a project in one week??? Wow.

3. shimniok

shimniok Member

Erm... try searching for FPGA with Google and then once you have a better understanding of what you need to do, maybe folks here can help better.

I think you should use the flip flop that works best for the circuit you're designing. :)

Michael

4. dave

Dave New Member

5. schmitt trigger

schmitt trigger Active Member

"Umm you don't know what a FPGA is, and now you need to learn programming FPGA's and make a project in one week??? Wow

My thoughts exactly. It is like you don't know how to swim, yet they are asking you to participate in the swimming championship finals in less than a week.

The question about the flip-flop: I don't understand the relationship to the project at hand, but I still can provide an answer; the simplest flip flop is the "D" type flip flop.

6. xpi0t0s

xpi0t0s Member

Actually that may not be that difficult. If he only wants you to DESIGN it and not actually IMPLEMENT it then should be fairly easy; just get any old circuit for multiplexing six 7-seg displays and replace the control logic with an FPGA. The FPGA contents will basically just be a bunch of counters and a shift register for multiplexing the displays.

7. BrownOut

BrownOut Banned

FPGA=(F)ield (P)rogrammable (G)ate (A)rray

I work extensively with FPGA's and I always have extream difficulty explaining exactly what they are to non-technical people. The very idea that you can take a device and make it into virtually anything you want seems almost mystical!

8. shimniok

shimniok Member

An FPGA is like the electronics equivalent of a box of LEGO bricks ... ?

9. blueroomelectronics

blueroomelectronics Well-Known Member

And a microcontroller is like the NXT :)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009