Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Diamond dust file for side-cutter sharpening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyback

Hi,
We have a lab full of blunt side-cutters. Do you know the cheapest way to sharpen them? Are those hand diamond dust files any good?......which machines are cheapest? Is it best to use a dremel with a diamond dust buffer wheel?

Buy decent cutters - or throw the cheap ones away and buy new ones - you can get a LOT of cheap cutters for the price of a decent pair, and you might lose the decent pair.

I'd try just a small fine grindstone stick, with oil. Using any soft surface will round edges rather than make clean straight cuts.
eg.

Or just scrap them.
We use them for electronics assembly initially, then once the edges get worn and they don't cut really fine wires well, machine wiring until they get too blunt for heavy use or just break.

I use a belt sander. You don't touch the angled inside of the cutters though, doing that they will get too wide of a gap. Just grind the flat outer side of the cutter while squeezing the handles together.

You do know that electronic side cutters are not made to cut nails or other steel items don't you?

I use a belt sander. You don't touch the angled inside of the cutters though, doing that they will get too wide of a gap. Just grind the flat outer side of the cutter while squeezing the handles together.

You do know that electronic side cutters are not made to cut nails or other steel items don't you?

I was taught they are strictly for copper only.
Using them as a hammer changes the temper of the cutter causing them to dull. eg, Linesman pliers

I was taught they are strictly for copper only.

You would think all electricians would know they are made for copper only, but you wouldn't believe the ones they brought me when working to sharpen. With big divots in the blades from guys trying to cut steel.

Not sure what you mean about the temper changing? That is a heat only thing in tool steels.

Hammering a good cutter, I was told it changes the molecular structural/alignment. The same way that dropping a good magnet on the floor weakens the magnet.

Maybe temper was a bad choice of word. Nonetheless each tool has a specific job and not all tools are hammers. Don't be lazy, use the right tools for the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back