Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Devices for Removing Hair with Blinking Light?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

Got the wife one of these and she says it works, she has light skin and dark hair so I think she is the best type of person for it from what the instructions say. Not done any research into this but it makes sense that dark hair follicles absorb more light (energy) and therefore heat up and damage the follicle slowing hair growth.

Why do you think it is heat?

Melanin (eumelanin) can produce superoxide anions, which could damage the follicle too. Very high intensity light would be key to that production. So something that is just a photo flash would probably not be sufficient. (**broken link removed** ).

John

A distant friend of mine started a laser hair removal biz and spent $0.5m on laser hair removal and claimed it was effective at reducing the growth of hair but each person has different thresholds of absorption heat skin rash and follicle absorption so the laser durations must be tweaked slowly for each person to find the optimal dosage and it takes many treatments and is not permanent. But for those mediterranean women with more hair on their body than any weight lifter have to go for monthly or bi-monthly wax ripping out hairs, it might be worth it.

I recall my ex-wife had white spots on her skin from lack of pigment, which was restored with bursts of focused high levels of UV-B

Judging from the jpanhalt's link the UV sensitivity is broadened to visible wavelengths ( blue and beyond) due to phosphors in the skin and it generates some hydrogen peroxide from some chemical reactions which in high concentrations can alter DNA.

Although from my own experience, I had a sunburn on one side of the top of my head, which now 50 yrs later is the thinnest in hair growth. So there is a delicate balance of insufficient reactions to do any good and excess causing burns or skin carcinoma or just reduced hair growth or eventual hair loss. Pick one. or NOT.

I recently grew a beard last month and it turnout with more salt than pepper. Shaving is a pain in the neck, and growing a beard was like having a bowl of shredded wheat around your mouth, but sadly the only solution for me was to shave it all off with a 5 edged razor, then spend 20 minutes trying to unclog it. Electric shavers of all kinds dont work for me after the 20th rotation in one spot. DOnt think I try waxing my face but for body hair, it may be still the most effective treatment for most women. On the 1st episode of Orange is the New Black, the TransV lady told her son to learn to shave with the grain and not against ( coming from her total body shaving experience) In my case even the sharpest razors work best against the grain followed by weed wacking electric shavers to dull the sharp edges to avoid 5 o'clock razor burns when I kiss my wife when she comes home from work.

Does anyone else besides my nephew & I have stubble that grows slightly down the left side and up the right, of the neck, so shaving direction tends to be the opposite?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back