Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Device to rotate an object in every axis

Status
Not open for further replies.

owenclements

Hi.

I am making a student project of production line. This line consist some collaboration robots responsible for polishing every surface of a product delivered to them on simple conveyor. Because weight of a product far exceeds the maximum weight which can be placed on a cobot arm and every surface of a product need to be polished I think that I have to use an external device to rotate a product in every possible axis to get access to surface which is in contact with conveyor. Of course, the easiest solution to my problem is to use another robot, far "stronger" than a cobot but I want to avoid this situation.

So I am looking for such device which has ability to rotate an object in every axis. Something like a turntable, but more advanced. All I need is a video or a link to such device. For now I want just to see how it looks like and how it is works. I tried to use google and phrases like 'turntable' and 'multi axis turntable' but without good results. Maybe I should type something else? I don't even know how it could be named.

I will be very thankful for any help. Any example of such device will be great.

Heh, they must give this project every year. I remember this exact question being asked sometime a while back. I think people suggested to check out a rubik cube solving machine.

All I need is a video or a link to such device.

You may find out that you will need much more than that :)

As a simple and incomplete introduction, you can search on "pan and tilt" and take a look at the many examples from the photography area (e.g., this one). From there on to all the robotics platforms....then on to all the mathematics of object transformation in the graphics fields.

Finally, you end up designing an acoustic levitation device (something better than this one but way cooler) with extraordinary rotational control. While your device was brilliant, it was well before its time and you were summarily failed and tossed out of school.....and all because you couldn't find the right video.

It's tough out there, wear a helmet.

it sounds like you need a gimbal mount of some type, kind of like those gimbal chairs used for astronaut training that have 3-axis motor control. another solution would be to have a robot arm and a table, and the robot arm grips one pair of sides of the object, and (assuming an object with flat sides like a cube) rotates the first four free sides to the polisher, then puts the object down, rotates, and picks up the object by two sides that have already been polished, and applies the two remaining unpolished surfaces to the polisher. that's probably much simpler than controlling a gimbal.

Last edited:
We still have no idea if this is a sugar cube sized problem or a house sized problem.

Mike.

The way a "sugar cube" or even bigger size would be done most places/industries would be in a vibratory bowl. They use different shape "stones' and solutions to handle different materials and shapes of parts. A lot of what looks like it was done on a polishing wheel is done in a vibratory bowl polisher.

The OP reposted the original request but has not responded here at all. I fear that he may have found the video he was looking for and forgot and then found it again...and yes I am being snarky but why the heck post, repost and never bother to actually respond? I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back