Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

detect pulse of 140ns and 50mv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

i want to detect a pulse with 140ns and 50mV amplitude. i want to design such a circuit when pulse comes pic microcontroller should get an interrupt. how can i do that?

thanks in advance...

You need to amplify the pulse to make it bigger - but more details are required.

I don't know how long a pulse needs to be to guarantee it triggers an interrupt?, possibly the datasheet will tell you? - if it's too short a simple pulse stretcher would be needed (but again, it depends on exactly what you're trying to do).

hi,
the source is photodiode.
currently i am using lm 324 / lmc6482in ic for opamp and HCF4098b pulse stretcher that can stretch a pulse. but i am not getting a pulse. is these IC are good enough ? Should i buy another one? please suggest me...

post your schematic

The LM324 is too slow for amplifying a 140nS pulse. Try a high-speed opamp.

now, i have changed my opamp to MC33274AP
And what was the result?

On the analogue side, a simple high speed op-amp comparator will do. You bias the reference minus some from the incoming signal. 140nS catch circuit using a basic 74HC4538/74HC121 monstable is very straight forward to give an input to the PIC. Can post an LTSpice sim when I get around to it.

How did you determine your pulse width is 140ns?

Let me see....Maybe from the title of the thread - detect pulse of 140ns and 50mv.

Clever.
Since the OP made this statement:
hi,
the source is photodiode.
currently i am using lm 324 / lmc6482in ic for opamp and HCF4098b pulse stretcher that can stretch a pulse. but i am not getting a pulse. is these IC are good enough ? Should i buy another one? please suggest me...

I am curious what photo diode outputs a 140ns pulse. What test instrument did he use to make this determination?

Last edited:
hi,

photodiode gives output when low power laser falls on it.i determine pulse voltage and timing with calculation. i measured big pulse in cro and according to those readings, i got this small pulse.

hi,

photodiode gives output when low power laser falls on it.i determine pulse voltage and timing with calculation. i measured big pulse in cro and according to those readings, i got this small pulse.

I don't know of any photo diode that can operate at that speed. Please share the data sheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back