Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Designing a GPS tracking device

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joquincere

Hi all.
I'm trying to do the same project as discussed here, a gps tracker, the smaller that I can. Is for use in bird migration investigation projects.
Can you help me please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Driver300, that device is nice but is not what I want, it has too many functions that I don't need for my project, besides I don't want a Comercial one, I wold like to make my own. :)
I want to make one like that one, but smaller if I can, and with solar charge. I don't need necessarily with gsm, I think it could be with APPS or something like that.

I know it sounds crazy but I known that it's possible.

Sorry for my English, I'm from Argentina.

What is "APPS"?

Extra functions don't add weight or cost if they are just in software. Any project like this needs some way of finding the device location and some way of getting that information back to the user. It will be very hard to do better than a commercial device like that.

You could easily add solar charging to a commercial device.

He meant APRS which is mentioned further up in the post.

Does anyone know if you can use the many 433MHz (Europe primary band) transmitters for APRS purposes? is it just a case of getting the protocol of the transmission right?

Thanks Driver300.
It was a mistake, I mean APRS not APPS, sorry.
I've already tried doing something like this with a commercial device, but you can not set them 100% as you want, have some functions that you can't change.
I want to do one that i can set it up as i want, as i need. For that reason i want to build my own devices.

Misterben thanks for the article, it's interesting but too technical for my sadly poor knowledge of electronic. I hope i can change that with practice and time. I'm reading all i can.

Was thinking to make a first device to try if i can and if it works, using arduino boards and shields.
Please tell my what do you guys think if i use:

Arduino Pro Mini 5v 16mhz Robotica Atmel Atmega328
+
Cellular Gsm Gprs Sim800l shield
+
A GPS shield (wich one you recomend?)
+
Battery and a mini solar panel

Hold on a minuet...............Which bird species? There are specific modules for this, and who exactly are you working with? Which uni or organisation. Strapping a device to a bird is not simple. Each species has a max weight limit, most you will need a license to even consider sticking something to it.

My dad did alot of research and breeding programs for the Red Tailed Kite in the UK. He also did swans and Geese etc, but that was via a University and he was licensed. The other reason I ask is lately there has ben people putting trackers on certain birds, then waiting until they nest and going to steal the eggs or young........

Sorry but when people start talking Arduino and strapping stuff to birds you got to ask a few questions surely? As I said for legit research there are custom made units for this, but you need the paperwork to get hold of them ;). Some unit weigh in <2g and go around 6 months on a coin cell.

Hello, little ghost.
I understand your concern about this, I have the same concerns and I must admit I was a bit scared to ask for help in this because I do not want that people without knowledge about birds do this.
I been working since 15 years ago studying birds with different researchers in different research projects. I work bandding birds and "strapping" them different devices to study his migratory movements. I have been using geolocators, GPS-GSM devices, PTT with Argos system, etc. I know all the permissions I need to capture birds. I know how much weight a specific bird can carry whitout be injured.

The main reason that leads me to ask for help with the construction of these devices is that they are are tooooooo expensive and difficult to get in my country (Argentina), you have to import them, and I think I can do it Some devices here, not for Sale, Only For use in some research projects.

The other reason I ask is lately there has ben people putting trackers on certain birds, then waiting until they nest and going to steal the eggs or young........
this do not happend in Argentina.

If you want to speak about birds i be placed to do it, but this is not the correct forum.

Clarified this and back to the post
¿What do you think of arduino to make a gps device as i want? I need to do the smalest one that i can.

Again i'm sorry for my horrible english.

Hello, little ghost.
I understand your concern about this, I have the same concerns and I must admit I was a bit scared to ask for help in this because I do not want that people without knowledge about birds do this.
I been working since 15 years ago studying birds with different researchers in different research projects. I work bandding birds and "strapping" them different devices to study his migratory movements. I have been using geolocators, GPS-GSM devices, PTT with Argos system, etc. I know all the permissions I need to capture birds. I know how much weight a specific bird can carry whitout be injured.

The main reason that leads me to ask for help with the construction of these devices is that they are are tooooooo expensive and difficult to get in my country (Argentina), you have to import them, and I think I can do it Some devices here, not for Sale, Only For use in some research projects.

this do not happend in Argentina.

If you want to speak about birds i be placed to do it, but this is not the correct forum.

Clarified this and back to the post
¿What do you think of arduino to make a gps device as i want? I need to do the smalest one that i can.

Again i'm sorry for my horrible english.
Arduino is not the way to go, try silicon labs. They do micros with built in transceivers, you could build something under around 5g. I wouldnt want to put more than 5g on a fairly bird. Arduino really wont do what you want. If you want to pm me thats ok, but yes I am very suspicious of this sort of thing.

PM me and have a chat, your English is as good as mine :D.

Thanks again Little Ghostman.
The bird species I'm working with can carry up to about 60g. They are big birds. In principle I would like to be able to make transmitters for these species (later it would be nice to be able to make smaller), for that reason and for the simplicity I thought to do them with Arduino. I think that with Arduino GSM / GPRS transmitters could be made with GPS of less than 60g but before buying the materials and I would like them to advise me about it because I am new in electronics.

I write to you privately and we will talk a little more about the subject if you agree, I would like to clear your doubts regarding my intentions with the transmitters.

So guys, do you think it's possible to do a transmitter with Arduino Pro Mini 5v 16mhz Robotica Atmel Atmega328 + Cellular Gsm Gprs Sim800l shield + A GPS shield (wich one you recommend?) + Battery and a mini solar panel?

Wich components do you recommend my to do it with less than 60g?

I am waiting for an answer from someone I contacted regarding weight. I have a cheap unit in mind, but I wanted to be sure what size birds you could attach it too. A arduino is too heavy for the birds you mentioned and the battery time would be low.

When I get the info take a look at the unit, they are pretty cheap and easy to fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back