Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am selecting a switch to energize a 3/4 hp AC motor. I am concerned about the prospect of contact arcing with such an inductive load.

If a switch is rated at 25A @ 125 VAC, it will handle the continuous current, but might there be a reliability issue over time due to contact arcing at turn on?

I could not find a switch with a motor rating.
So I found relays with ratings. Many relays will say how many HP they can switch.
Here is an example of a 10A 120V/220V relay "switch" and how the switch part works.
They show 10A for AC resistive loads. 8A for a DC load. But 5A for a inductive load.
Note also if you push the edges the life of the part get shorter.
upload_2016-7-27_8-18-55.png

You can also place a R/C snubber across the contacts if concerned.
Max.

Attachments

• Snubbers.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 347
It is not only arcing what is at stake.
It is the much larger startup current as compared to the running current.

Unfortunately there are many types of induction motors: shaded pole, permanent split phase, capacitor start, capacitor start-capacitor run.
The starting current may be anywhere from 2 to 5 times the full load current.

Post a photo of the motor, including its plate.
Many times the plate shows the full load amps, and the startup (locked rotor) amps.

If in doubt pick up a small Telemecanique contactor on Ebay, you might even get a set of O/L's with it!
Especially if it involves much cycling on/off during operation.
Or pick up a A/C. switch from H.D. etc.
Max.

Last edited:
Without the exacts specs for the switch and Motor locked Rotor Code , it is impossible to say with certainty.

Depending on motor, typical start current surges are 600-800% rated current of typical <5A full load for 3/4 HP at 120V thus Isurge=30-40A.

What cycle life expectancy do you need?

You could also consider using a solid state relay to switch the motor and use a mechanical switch to switch the solid state relay.

spec

In industry motors almost always use a contactor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back