Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dell Battery recall

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrz126

Is anyone else affected by this? I guess the batteries have a tendency to burst into flames if something fails in the charger.
I guess Dell will replace them for free if your battery qualifies.

There's quite a few here at work...I have 3 in my cubical right now. I was thinking about going around the plant saying that I was the 'bad battery collector' and see how many I can get.

Old news ... and what annoys me is Dell is taking a public beating from this, regardless of the fact that it's Sony who manufactured the batteries and provided them to Dell.

HiTech said:
Old news ... and what annoys me is Dell is taking a public beating from this, regardless of the fact that it's Sony who manufactured the batteries and provided them to Dell.

But isn't the problem the charger, and NOT the battery?.

Regardless of what is at fault and who's responsible for designing the charger or the battery, it's Dell's responsibility to test their products and identify any weaknesses or possible dangers to the end user. It would be unreasonable to expect a design team to account for all possibilities and for-see all potential problems, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a company to come clean about any problems they identify after a unit has gone on sale and deal with them as quickly as possible.

From what I read, Dell have only publicly admitted to having a problem with these laptops after they were forced to by the media getting hold of quite a drastic example of one catching fire. If that's accurate, then I think they should have come clean about these problems straight away, before anyone was put in danger.

Brian

The notice we received from Dell stated the battery, not the charger and even gave details of determining what battery is used in our laptop. Our laptop is exempt from the recall, fortunately for us! As for fires, I did see a pic of a completely burned out truck interior caused from a defective battery.

This is very old news, I came across the clip in question and reports about the exploding batteries a while ago

WHAT is discusting is AGAIN Dell (and more importantly SONY!!! - may they rot in hell) have done NOTHING!!!

it took public outcry for them to admit a problem (just like apple and the nano)

Funny thing was its not just these batteries (ie Dell's only fault was not reporting sooner and ordering a recall), it is all of Sony's LiIon from that generation & Batch.
My wife 3months ago bought a brand new D50 SLR of Nikons and there was a warning about the battery's on their website (we checked the serial # of the battery and we were ok)

on an aside note I have been on hols this week, remote logged into work yesterday and I have an email requesting my work lappy gets returned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back