Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lead/acid battery longevity

Status
Not open for further replies.

hereward

I have just fitted a new battery to my car that I bought 13 years ago; is that some kind of record for a battery to last that long, or is it a common thing?

I wouldn't know about a record, but that's about twice (plus) what is the norm...

What were your driving situations and weather?

What brand/model battery?

I have had a batteries last 11 years.
Usually I get 1 to 3 years.
My tractor shakes the battery so bad they only last 1 year.
Some tractors are not run in the winter, so every spring they get a new battery. I now keep a trickle charger on unused batteries and they last 3 years or more.
If you leave the lights on, allow the battery to discharge, it will not last.
Cold weather will kill the battery. When I lived in the north, we brought the batteries in at night or connected a charger all night. It is asking too much from a battery to deliver current at -50C. The engine starts hard and the oil is thick.

Seeing this is a Battery thread, I think I should post here...

I had no clue that Ni-MH have a a useful life of only 5 Years....working or not.
I know that SLA have problems. Ni-MH...I never heard about problems before. Till today....

So, luckily when I started my project, I only purchased around 10 of them....that was in 2010....Some have worked hard and cycled daily, some have just sat on a shelf...

Tested today after all being fully recharged ...they all have the same reduced capacity. Cycles do not matter....age does.

Little PP3's. I have learned....I almost bought 100 of them a few years back at an excellent price....

I would have cried today.

Regards,
tvtech

Thanks for the replies, I was quite amazed that it lasted so long. What brand? Not sure it had a name on it, I had only just taken it off when it was snapped up by a passing scrap woman. It was on a Daewoo Matiz. Here in the UK we do not get extremes of temperature (not in recent years anyway) the Gulf Stream helps. I’m still reluctant to put heavy demands on a battery; a hangover from the days of dynamos.

You can take a look at www.batteryuniversity.com for what's necessary to care and feed all sorts of batteries.

Climate is going to play a major role as well as how far the battery has been discharged and how many times. Maintenance is also going to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back