Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

deisel conversion to NG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not deny that any hydrocarbon engine produces zero carbon dioxide/monoxide emissions. However for emergency electrical usage the engine, whether converted from diesel, or conventional home depot engine, is insignificant compared to the countless streams of automobiles seen on the nations freeways for nothing more than transporting a human being from point a to point b.

Hi Philba

When reading your post something was niggling in the back of my mind wrt Ng in a diesel. I did a search and this is what came up.

https://www.motherearthnews.com/DIY/1973-09-01/The-Plowboy-Interview-L-John-Fry.aspx

John Fry lived in ZA for a number of years and he apparently ran a diesel on methane. I havn't looked for any design layouts however reading the article again it looks like a bit of 'imagineering' would be required.

regards

Aloefundi

thanks, interesting article but it just reinforces my belief that there isn't clean solution to be had from a deisel engine. By clean, I mean easy to obtain and run.

Since this is for only occasional usage, I am less concerned about pollution and far more about reliability and low(er) maintenance requirements. The focus on NG is to avoid having to treat and/or manage a liquid fuel. It looks like a gasoline engine conversion is the best bet. I'd still have to deal with oil changes but that's probably acceptable. Especially if the controller can remind me when it's needed.

Interestingly enough, a very large part of the installation cost will be the transfer panel and associated wiring. This is due to the complexity of my site wiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back