Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Definitive Technology W9 speaker power board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garrett

Hey guys, I'm an electrics technician working on a Definitive Technology W9 speaker that got hit by lightning. I've replaced all of the capacitors and if you and a few mosfets but there are three resistors that are too burnt to be identified I was wondering if anyone had schematics any help would be appreciated

Can't help on a schematic, but where the capacitors damaged? - or did you replace them because they were cheap crap, domed or leaking?.

I've had LOT'S of experience with lightning damaged equipment, and it would be extremely rare for capacitors to be damaged. Are there are IC's in this device?, it's usually those that get killed by lightning. Although I did once replace a goodly number of blown IC's in a TV, and got the set working, only to find it had damaged the CRT as well :(

The good majority of the electrolytic caps were domed but a few were straight up singed and burned the board. I have a picture of the resistors on the power board but the files too big to post. The board has very few ic chips but my main issue is that it's not powering on. These burnt resistors are in the main power circuit but they are completely open.

The good majority of the electrolytic caps were domed but a few were straight up singed and burned the board. I have a picture of the resistors on the power board but the files too big to post. The board has very few ic chips but my main issue is that it's not powering on. These burnt resistors are in the main power circuit but they are completely open.

Garrett, I have the same issue but my tweeters and mid-range drivers are out. Its probably the bottom two capacitors on the board, as I see the second from bottom slightly domed. Can you help figure out where exactly were the resistors burnt on the board?

Also did you have to break the top to get the pcb out?

Thanks.

this is an old thread...
Also did you have to break the top to get the pcb out?

a lot of deftech stuff is built like a "chinese puzzle" and requires a service manual for disassembly instructions (or very thorough inspection, a lot of patience, and high mechanical aptitude. there are some deftech powered speakers that require removing speaker drivers to get the board out.

Hey guys, I'm an electrics technician working on a Definitive Technology W9 speaker that got hit by lightning. I've replaced all of the capacitors and if you and a few mosfets but there are three resistors that are too burnt to be identified I was wondering if anyone had schematics any help would be appreciated
i did Def Tech warranty repairs for 9 years. there are no schematics because repairs are done by board swapping.

Any luck in fixing the PS board? Anyone confident they can fix another, I have one needs repair. Several caps are domed, do not see any burned conponents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back