Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Decide between using MOSFET or IGBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stenberg

Hi!

I am trying to decide between using MOSFET or IGBT, and need some suggestions.

I'm going to design (simulation & calculations) 230 V (AC) to 400 V (DC) converter, with switching frequency of 150 kHz and current range of 4-8 A at a output power at 900 W.

I have looked at a lot of advantages and disadvantages for these two switching devices. But according to a this reference: Figure3 (**broken link removed**), I am in between in range for voltage and frequency.

Or could I use MOSFET for the reasons of that I have high switching frequency, low current, low voltage and low losses at low power?

(I am not up to speed on newest component technology or close-future components, so it you have suggestions of new components that could fit, please let me know).

Thanks!
//Stenberg

I have been experimenting with MOSFETs & IGBTs for several years. I bought some IRFP460 pack of 10 for $9 free postage on ebay. These are cheap enough to experiment with if your burn some up no big deal its part of having FUN. LOL. Often resonance frequency AC will be 3 times higher voltage than DC power supply voltage. There are some 1500v 5a mosfets around but I don't remember the part number maybe someone else does? Make sure your RF capacitors are rated 3 times the power supply voltage so RF AC does not kill the caps. Cut mosfet pin #2 off then use the heat sink tab as pin 2 you get more power from the mosfet. Use a very large heat sink to experiment you can use smaller heat sink with fan after you get the circuit working. If you search mosfet data sheets online for a suitable mosfet look for LOW resistance mosfets they need less cooling. Here are some mosfets I have experiments with. Be sure to filter RF out of the DC circuit that feeds back into the DC power supply it will fry your power supply caps.

STP55NF06 60V 50A .015hms

IPP075N15N3 150V 100A .0062 ohms

IRFP260 200V 35A .085 ohns

ETP30NF10 100V 35A .038 0hms

IRFP460 500V 20A

I have CM600 IGBTs

Last edited:
If you want to really make an informed choice, make a decision matrix:

• List all YOUR performance objectives. That includes not only technical aspects (losses, withstanding voltages, thermals, etc), but cost, availability, required board footprint, your level of expertise with those devices, and the ancillary components required by the device.
  • Prioritize each objective, from lowest to highest.
  • Attach a weight (number) to each objective.
  • Multiply both number together, to obtain a figure of merit for each objective.
  • Then,make two columns, one for Mosfets and the other for IGBTs,
  • Utilizing the criteria listed on the app note you attached, assign to each column the FOM on which the particular device is best. If it is a tie, then give half the points to each column.
  • Sum all of the values of each colum
  • The one with the highest points is your choice.
It is a lot of work, but it is very effective. Otherwise, just toss a coin.

Thanks for all your reply's!
It sounded like a great idea so I have now created a decision matrix. And from the points I got MOSFET.

While I am here, to choose material between Si, SiC and (GaN), (perhaps I should do a desicion matrix again), but does anyone have an opinion about what material would fit MOSFET with operation mode CCM.

"On the other side, CCM encounters turn on losses with the MOSFET, which can be exacerbated by the boost rectifier commutation recovery loss due to Qrr. For this reason, ultra-fast recovery diodes or silicon carbide schottky diodes with no charge Qrr are needed for CCM mode." https://www.mouser.com/pdfdocs/2-7.pdf

Thanks for all your reply's!
It sounded like a great idea so I have now created a decision matrix. And from the points I got MOSFET.

While I am here, to choose material between Si, SiC and (GaN), (perhaps I should do a desicion matrix again), but does anyone have an opinion about what material would fit MOSFET with operation mode CCM.

"On the other side, CCM encounters turn on losses with the MOSFET, which can be exacerbated by the boost rectifier commutation recovery loss due to Qrr. For this reason, ultra-fast recovery diodes or silicon carbide schottky diodes with no charge Qrr are needed for CCM mode." https://www.mouser.com/pdfdocs/2-7.pdf
I would find the parts that meet your voltage, switching, and current requirements before choosing the material. The reason there are different materials is because they have different limitations which means that for the same specifications you won't find an alternative in each material. The other requirements will inherently narrow down what material. You only need to worry about material on the rare chance that there are multiple transistors of different materials that all meet your specification, and are in the same package, and cost the same. Material is at the bottom of the list.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back