Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Debugging LM 317 Regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

amy_pur

Hi,

I am trying to build a variable powersupply using LM 317 IC. The input DC voltage (after rectification) is about 26 volts. However, at the output I am getting voltage from 1.2 V to 6.2 V only. What could be the reason?

Thanks and Regards,
amy_pur

Post your circuit -- but you might not have the right values for your resistor and potentiometer.

The equation is V=1.25(1 + R2/R1)

R2 goes from the adjust pin to ground and R1 goes from adjust to the output. R2 should be about 200R1 or thereabouts.

Try replacing potentiometer for bigger one, it sounds like you have 1kOhm only. Use 5kOhm.

panic mode said:
Try replacing potentiometer for bigger one, it sounds like you have 1kOhm only. Use 5kOhm.

Thanks. Yes, I have used a 1 KOhm potentiometer. I will change as suggested and check.

crust said:
Post your circuit -- but you might not have the right values for your resistor and potentiometer.

The equation is V=1.25(1 + R2/R1)

R2 goes from the adjust pin to ground and R1 goes from adjust to the output. R2 should be about 200R1 or thereabouts.

Thanks Crust. You are right, the current ratio is (R2)1000 Ohms : (R1)220 Ohms. As suggested by another friend, I will change the POT value to 5000 Ohms. This should solve the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back