Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Debug Header

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomSoft

Hey everyone, i have a couple pics that use a debug header for debugging. I know that the header basically adds the debug capability for the MCU.

What i dont know is .. or well what i would like to know is, what does it actually do?

I see the header AC162052 for example... it has a larger pic on it with extra pins. Is it safe to assume you basically use another PIC very similar to the original for debug and when done you just program your actual pic?

Or does that PIC on the header communicate with the PIC you want to debug? Im not sure how this works.

Does the PIC in the header have special code on it? If so what happens if you fry it? you have to spend another $25 to get a header? or is there a HEX you can simply load to it?

I've never used a header so can't help with an answer. I always pick a suitable bigger pic with debug to develop on and then change to the destination chip when complete. You can do conditional code so you only have to change the selected processor to compile for the target pic.

I.E.
Code:
	#ifdef	__16F88
		movlw	B'01110000'	;select 8MHz clock
		movwf	OSCCON
		clrf	ANSEL		;no ADCs
	endif

Mike.

ah, so your saying basically find another pic like the 16f630 in my case with debug cqpabilities and then just switch over when done debugging. i guess its the best idea. ill hqve to see what i have on hand. i hate waiting for a oder to come in heh.

thanks

edit: i use C so switching should be simple

Last edited:
The header from Microchip uses a special version of the PIC (you can't buy it separately) that has enough pins for the separate debug header and sometimes a part selection switch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back