Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dead $150 Earphone! Oh no!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dknguyen

Most Helpful Member
I have a pair of ER-6 earbuds that I never use since I broke my MP3 player but I tried them 10 minutes ago and the right earbud was almost completely dead. I tried it on my stereo connected to my PC, and then the PC directly and the earbud was still dead. Then I took it to the stereo upstairs and I don't know if it suddenly started while it was in my hand (and not my ear) or if it worked as soon as I plugged it in but now it seems to be working everywhere again. I don't know if it was electrical or something obstructing the filter (I didn't see anything). I'm a bit concerned since these things are expensive and practically brand new and one earbud suddenly stopped working and started working again.

Does anyone know anything about earphone failures and what kinds of things indicate intermittent electrical failure or just something obstructing the membrane?

I have a pair of headphones that I use on my computer that have a broken wire under the insulation at the base of the plug. They work fine for weeks on end, then if the wire gets bent just right, one side will go dead or be very faint. I think too many people have unplugged them by pulling the cord, and not the plug:( On the pair before those, both wires broke up where they go into the speaker housing. You had to hold your head sidways and not move if you wanted stereo sound.

Don't know if this could be your problem, seeing as you say they are almost new, but I sure have had trouble with it.

That sounds really expensive for a pair of earphones especially the earbud type which I hate because they're uncomfortable.

I'm a bit concerned since these things are expensive and practically brand new and one earbud suddenly stopped working and started working again.
Usually when things start working on their own again they are just as apt to stop again. As mentioned previously, the most common fault is a broken wire usually right at the bud or the jack where most of the bending takes place. Experiment by gently pulling and bending the wire at these points while listening to music to locate the weak spot. If you have a steady hand and good eyes you can usually pry the bud open if it isn't glued really well, cut the bad part of the wire out (0.5-1" from bud), and reattach to the bud. Do the other side also because it is probably ready to go and this way the lengths will be even.

dknguyen said:
I have a pair of ER-6 earbuds that I never use since I broke my MP3 player but I tried them 10 minutes ago and the right earbud was almost completely dead. I tried it on my stereo connected to my PC, and then the PC directly and the earbud was still dead. Then I took it to the stereo upstairs and I don't know if it suddenly started while it was in my hand (and not my ear) or if it worked as soon as I plugged it in but now it seems to be working everywhere again. ...................

Hi Dknguyen,

First of all you may start using it for few days before any action.

To my knowledge, if by any chance the leadin wire is stretched, the strands might give way. while trying to twist thisway or thatway, perhaps on or two strands would have got contact.

The thin leading wire into the earbud is generally gripped between the plastic cap and the body of earbud and gets a break at that point. If the wire is long enough, we can dress it back after snapping a small length and resolder again wit a mini soldering station and with due precautions.
Not hurry to open --

From my experience, I always have found the first thing to fail (either on small headphones or lapel type microphones) is the wire at the connector as Andy suggested. I have found it to be pretty rare to see the wire at the actual transducer end fail, and Etymotic Research makes pretty reputable stuff so I would think they would allow for adequate strain relief at the earphone end. I would try the same approach that kchristie and Sarma suggested, but also making sure to check the connector end for intermittent failure. Definitely don't jump at opening up the earbud end without ruling out that your failure is at the connector. Good luck.

PS. Is the thing still covered under warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back