Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC to DC conversion...

Status
Not open for further replies.

petesmc

Hi,

How can i convert a 12V into something around 20V? I want to use this as the supply for an op-amp. Would a converter be able to provide a big enough current?

-Peter

You can construct or buy a DC-DC boost converter. The chip version cannot handle much current. Using discrete components, you can build them up to fairly high currents. Just remember that Pin=Pout, so if you want to supply 10A to your 20V load, you will draw about 17A from your 12V side. The converter typically only converts about 80% of the power in a boost configuration, so your total 12V load will be 21A.

Well, I thought you knew how to connected. No I don't have a schematic right NOW, but as soon as I draw the circuit, I'll post it (It may take a while :wink: , since I have a Basic Electronics exam comin'up...)

Agent 009 said:
The uA741 Op-Amp runs on a 12Vdc, so you could have an amplifier circuit getting your 12 V up to 20 V...

in order to have a 20V output, you need have around 23V rails for your op-amp. Further, unless you are running a 741 with Vee tied to 0V, you are exceeding the 741s specs.

If You need about 2A, build this circuit....

Attachments

• 2587.JPG
    2587.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 568
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back