DC to AC inverter improvents

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just tried this simple circuit with a TIP41C and it looks that it is working good, better that the 555 timer circuit, so i was thinking if it can be improved a bit so it will produce full wave rather than half way rectification. I am sure also that the frequency is higher, another advantage too. Sometimes simple things are better.
Also i found this one, with this way bug zappers are working but i have not tried yet. Is there any different than the 1st one or just the same ?

Thanks

It Depends on if you want a Substantial POWER output, Or just more a Voltage Gain with little current?

AC electricity has the same amount of power when it goes positive as when it goes negative. An inverter uses a push-pull circuit with two transistors to do the same.
The simple circuits you found have only one transistor making a powerful pulse for only half the waveform so the output from the transformer is pulsing instead of making continuous AC.

It Depends on if you want a Substantial POWER output, Or just more a Voltage Gain with little current?

So there is a difference right ? My goal is only to charge some capacitors up to 4-5kv, so wich one chemelec do you believe is better ? The 1st or the 2nd one ?

Yea audioguru that is true. With this simple circuit only the half waveform is used. Is there any way to use both positive and negative waveform with this way ? Maybe adding one more transistor for the negative waveform ?

This One will give Considerable POWER.

chemelec thank you for your reply but dont you think that this is a bit complicated for my purpose ? As i said avobe, i just only want to charge some capacitors at 4-5kv.

Thanks

Transformers work with Ac for the most part, there must be as much time x voltage above zero as that below.
The circuits you linked to are blocking oscillators, a very simple circuit popularized with Tv's, however they are only good for a few watts, if thats all you need fine.

transforman2, Obviously you don't need Power.
As to The 1st or the 2nd one, Not sure either one.

Probably a Fly Back Transformer Circuit to get that High Voltage.
What Size of Capacitor?

Does this need to be from a Battery?
Or are you using it in your House.

Last edited:
The capacitors are x4 1,3kv-5μF in series for total of 5,2kv-1,25μF. I am planning to charge them only up to 4kv for capacitors protection. I want to be charged from batteries, i am not going to play with my home 220v.

Thanks

The 220 Might be Dangerous, But the 4KV Discharge from Those Capacitors Will be LETHAL.
Even though the circuit I Posted can operate from 220VAC, The HV Output is Totally ISOLATED From the Line.

To Get this HV From a battery, do a Google search for a Camera Flash Circuit.
These are usually a Double Step Up.
(So 6 or 12 volts to get 150 or 200 Volts, than this to step up again to the 4KV.)

Last edited:
I dont know how much a camera flash circuit can produce, i think they are powered from 1,5 or 3v.

I have another idea, What if i took a tv flyback transformer and wound the primary or adjust the voltage until i got about 4kv then just add a diode and charge the caps ? I have read that tv flyback transformers have a internal diode so maybe only just pulse AC half way would be better

If you do a Google Search on a "Camera Flash Circuit", You will see the schematics on how they step it up from 3 Volts to Several Thousand Volts in two stages.

SOME TV Flybacks have an Internal Diode, But Not all of them.
And most of them have Numerous Windings, Not just a Primary and Secondary.
Between that and trying to remove the Potting Material, It is Unlikely you could rewind them.

Aside from that, you can Make a Flyback from scratch.
Just need a Custom made Bobbin and some Ferrite Cores or a ferrite Rod.
I Manufacture these for another company, but the ones I make 12 VDC to 10KV.

Here is one Example:
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
I have a lashup high voltage supply assembled using a Tv lopty, the primary is wound around the core using just a few turns, a lot of them allow you to do this.
However the circuit is a bit more complex, it uses a smps Ic, however the o/p is regulated, not sure what the max o/p is, I set it to the most the resistor divider would take sensing the o/p voltage.
You could however do something simpler.

If I got it right the system chem was talking about uses the trigger trans in a flash circuit, the circuit charges a cap up to about 300v, then a thyristor dumps this into a trigger trans primary, causing 4 - 6kv on the trigger trans sec.
Only a few milliwatts at most will be produced, but if your using this for thermionics or something that might be enough.

For a transformer, you could use an old car ignition coil.

I built a rig using one of those a few decades ago with a 2N3055 as a power switch and a multivibrator to control that; it could generate a large enough arc to run a small "Jacob's ladder" device.

I used a traditional metal can oil-filled coil, this style: **broken link removed**

The new encapsulated coil packs tend to arc internally and destroy their insulation if there is not a smallish spark gap as a load, so I'd not try them without a definite load to limit the voltage.

(If you try one of those I'd start at a very low drive voltage and/or with a current limiting resistor so you don't instantly destroy your rectifiers, until you can calibrate the needed drive for an appropriate output level).

I have notice that adding some capacitors in the end of the AC current, there is a significant improvement in output. However i have tried some electrolytic caps and they looks like they don't last long cause they have not bee made for this purpose i guess. I have found some film caps but they usually are high in voltage and low in μF like 250v 1μF. I Have tried some various caps and i can see a better performance and output of a transformer than without it. Also for some reason it looks like the more the μf the better. Is it because my multi-meter can not read square wave or there is indeed some improvement ? Can somebody suggest me pls some caps in order to improve the output ?

Thanks

Last edited:
You need some low esr caps, maybe salvage some from a dead pc power supply.
The cap will turn the rms voltage to close to peak, about a 40% increase.
Low esr is needed beacuse of the frequency and peak current, 'ordinary' caps will heat up & possibly pop.
Meters usually only go to 400hz or so, measuring high frequencies requires extra expense.

Ok Dr pepper ty for your reply. I have seen those but all are low in μF, usually 1 to 1,5. at about 250v. Would those be enough ? Shall i put them before of after the transformer ?

You can get them in 1000's of uF.
They are a smoothing cap and must go after a rectifier, sounds like you want a resonant cap, they are unsuitable for that.

I just bought x2 IR2153 IC and i am thinking to built an inverter based on this IC. I have an attachment photo of the circuit. I would like to drive it at about 50khz frequency, but i am not sure at what values i have to change for that purpose. I found an exe file that it looks that it calculates the frequency when you put the capacitor and resistor values. According to the program with 13k resistor and 1nf cap i have about 51khz frequency, is that correct ? Also i am going to use x2 IRF540N Fets

Attachments

• IR2153 Inverter Circuit.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 298
  • Freq2153.exe
    316 KB · Views: 120
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…