Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

dc motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

boolx

Hi. I am new member.
I am trying to control a dc motor with a parallel port.
what's the possiblity i can do that without using a dc motor driver?

boolx said:
Hi. I am new member.
I am trying to control a dc motor with a parallel port.
what's the possiblity i can do that without using a dc motor driver?

Without using a driver at all, the possibility is about zilch. In other words, do not attempt to drive a motor directly with the digital signals from PC port - it will be a death sentence for the port.

Without using some special driver chip, that is a different matter. I recall seeing a few designs that just bit-banged an H-bridge from a parallel port.
Isolation is a very good idea also.

Depending on the size of DC motor you wish to control, I have found the A3953 Full-Bridge PWM Motor Driver to be useful. It is easy to use and fairly cheap.

Further Info:
**broken link removed**

This may not be the best out there, others may prefer other devices, but I've used this several times with good results every time.

yeah. do not try to connect it directly. cause parallel port is only giving out PWM pulses and there is not enough current to support a dc motor. depends on the motor also. if suddenly it have load on the motor, it will fry your pc or if your are in luck only the port will fry.. use a driver, ok. or design a circuit which will trigger when there is pulse from the computer.

Thanks. I learn something now.
But I would still like to power up a dc motor.

I need to control it with my parallel port. whether the motor will be on or off.
How is the easiest way? I am just a hobbyist. that would like to do some programming.

I just saw this forum
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/an-offside-sensor-tracker-desing-help.7691/

will i be able to modified this to be use as a dc controller?

I just found another circuit
DC Motor Control Circuit
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/the-breadboard.54/
(is there any possiblity i can build this circuit and enable the control with a parallel port?)

I dont
dare to deal with 12v AC power. (i am chicken, i dont want to get fried up) any other way with the least money i can get 12v. I have computer psu or 9v battery......[/url]

why chicken to use 12V AC? it's very small voltage only. use 1N4001 diode to convert it to dc, u get the voltage u want. or if not, take a transformer, step down from 240 to 12V. u can externally control the dc motor. power the motor using other circuits but control the circuit using parallel port or serial port. i don't have time to draw it for you only cause i am busy doing my final year project. if not i will draw it for you. don't be chicken. 12V AC is very small only. I have seen 22kV voltage power also. step down to 415V to power up a AC motor ( high tension motor). the load almost 18tan inside.(ball mill, grind silica or sand) the starting load current is 4000A plus. this fry parts of the substation. (fire) then, they changed a few stuff and directly bypass the protection circuit. still can work but no protection on the substation only.(testing only) they did not include the fluid coupling in the design. (bought second hand machines from australia) if they include the fluid coupling, all will be well for that machine. 12V at most fry some of the components only.

seems that this is a very good site for people. decided to be active in it once i finish my degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back