Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC Motor controller...please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPD_FRK

Hello folks, I am in need of some help with a project I am attempting to make. The application is for automotive use with a small motor that opens/closes a valve within the intake assembly based on the position of a throttle position sensor.

The TPS (throttle position sensor) is a potentiometer that has 3 pins. 1) ground, 2) TPS output, 3) TPS power (5v).

The additional component I need to add to this part of the circuit is the intake valve motor assembly which has a small 2 wire motor, a second piece with a sensor that basically times the revolutions of the motor for the valve opening/closing. This is from a different vehicle and swapping out an entire ECU is not an option. This piece is a 4 pin plug (I have to pull pin data yet).

What I am attempting to do here is to feed the signal from my TPS to the valve motor so that when the output signal increases (throttle open) it opens the secondary valves, and when throttle begins to close it closes the secondary valves.

I talked a bit with some co-workers and they made mention that I could set up a set of relays to switch the direction of the motor as needed, but it needs to stop once the valve is opened completely, and also when closed. At this point they believe this will involve some type of microprocessor to be programmed it to work. I am not very skilled with this type of stuff and I am diving into something new for me here with this type of circuit stuff.

Any help/input is greatly appreciated.

At what % throttle opening does the valve open? Does the valve fully open? Is the valve meant open progressively, according to the throttle opening? Is the 2-wire sensor a switch or something that changes state when the full travel of the motor is reached?

Is this for a Power Valve? i.e. Yamaha LC350YVPS?

At what % throttle opening does the valve open? Does the valve fully open? Is the valve meant open progressively, according to the throttle opening? Is the 2-wire sensor a switch or something that changes state when the full travel of the motor is reached?

Is this for a Power Valve? i.e. Yamaha LC350YVPS?
I believe this would be considered a power valve system, it is from the Hyundai XG350 model car and is being fitted to work on a different model.

I will need the valves to open at roughly 50% throttle, the valves would need to open progressively with the signal from the increased throttle position. Maybe I am misunderstaning, but perhaps you mean the 4 wire plug portion? I have to get to my alldata at work to pull the wire schematic of the sensor, but I do believe it is part of the original circuit to cut power when the valves reach full open/closed position.

This is the valve motor assembly, the gear shaft fits into the section that has the motor and there is some type of sensor within that which must read valve opening;
**broken link removed**

Originally I thought I could simply run a lead from the TPS output to the motor circuit, but then I am stuck with an issue of the motor continuing to run further past the full valve opening, and then with reversing the motor to close the valve when the TPS output is reduced;

I got more informatgion today from the alldata program at work. Below is the pinout for the connectors, plus any additional information that I have not posted yet.

Sensor in addition to the valve motor is referred to "Variable Intake Sensor/Motor"

The two pins for the Variable Intake motor connection are 1 and 2.
Pin 1 is "open"
Pin 2 is "closed"

The sensor portion is the 4 pin plug section, Variable Intake Sensor."
Pin 1 is Power (5V same as the current stock TPS sensor)
Pin 2 is "close"
Pin 3 is Ground
Pin 4 is "open"

Both the motor and sensor wiring runs to the PCM where I assume the main control is done for this system. I do hope this additional information offers more insight/help for any of you to further assist myself.

Sounds like you require a custom-designed (and developed) ECU. It's do-able. It would be designed such that there would be flexibility so that you could do the development (adjustments).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back