Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC Fan RPM VS CFM

Status
Not open for further replies.

electrosalt

Folks, I contacted the vendor of a project I am working on to request which DC fan I should use. They told me that the fan I am looking for should be:

12 VDC
1000 RPM
6 CFM

However, I went to a dc fan search site:

https://www.mouser.com/Thermal-Management/Fans-Blowers/Fans/DC-Fans/_/N-dwatb/

And there is nothing that matches 1000rpm/6cfm and 12vdc. My question is, can I get a fan that has for example 6 CFM and 4000 RPM or does the fan have to be the same RPM as the specs that the vendor states. I am under the impression that the CFM number which is the flow per minute is the important number, and in this case a slow flow is what is important for the project. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thank you.

I agree you want 6 CFM. How you get 6 is not important.
I think lower RPMs will cause less noise.
Probably a high RPM motor will have small blades. A low RPM motor will have many large blades.

Do you have some preferred dimension? You could simply run a larger more powerful fan at lower RPM to get the required flow. However there will likely not be any easy way to realate % of max RPM to airflow, so it it will be more of a guesstimate.

So you have your three important parameters: size, airflow and voltage.

You can go to Digikey's website and perform a filtered search.
You could find a situation where there are no 12 volt, 70X70 mm fans that have exactly 6 CFM. In that case, widen that parameter search, let's say from 6 to 9 CFM.

As others have mentioned, lower RPM usually results in lower noise, which may be important in certain applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back