Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC-DC Converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philipc

I'm looking for a DC-DC converter that will step up a car battery to 16-18 volts, and needs an output of 3-5 amps.
If I can't find one, I'm also willing to make one, any ideas?
Thanks
Philip

Automotive electrical systems are often refered to as being 12volt but can go as high as 18v with the engine running, depending on make/model.

One solution would be to use a second battery and a change over relays.
The two batteries are charged in parallel in the conventional manner then when you require your special voltage the relay connects the batteries in series to produce 24vdc then you drop this down using a conventional regulator.

Can you tell us what you are trying to power it may give us some insight to your problem.

tansis,

I want to build a charger that will charge 3-4 battery packs separately. Each charger will need about 15 volts output around 1 amp max. I'm not for sure on the output voltage needed, basically I want to charge 10 nimh cells with the LM-317 chip, I'm guessing around 15 volts, still looking that one up also.

Philip

Look in National Semiconductors website for info on "boost" type switching regulators.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back