Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC Current for 3 Phase Induction Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello,

I have a 3 Phase Induction Motor 15kW, 415V, 26.4A
Approx DC Resistance of a single Stator Coil is 1 Ohm with my DMM

As an experiment I want to apply a low DC Voltage & Current to a single Phase of the stator windings to see the braking effect.
The motor is not connected to mains power & will not be connected to mains power only a suitable DC supply for a single stator winding.

My question is, how much DC Current can I apply to a single winding safely without damaging the windings.
Obviously if I apply 12V Dc the winding will see 12A or 24VDC will be 24A but I am not sure how much DC Current the windings will take.

Is there a way I can work this out or get some advice please.
I read on the internet that a DC Current applied to a single Phase can be 2 to 3 times the maximum Amp rating of the motor, but this seems to be worthy of further questioning?

Many Thanks

The current tolerance should be at least the same as the rated 3ph current, as this is what a winding would see when attached to a 3ph supply at the rated load.
The 2 to 3 times figure would be only for a short period if used for braking, but maybe not valid in a continuous application..
Max.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back