Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC/AC to DC converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

sangel

I want to convert 220V to about 5-12V (not for some specific projust, just for fun, I love to build circutrs and play with them).

I want to build hi frequency converter

Can U post a sceme or 2 for it (I undertand that it can be with 2 or only one transistor, I vould like to have both).

thank u very much

A frequency counter is much more complicated than one or two transistors.
The OP wants a high frequency "converter".

What do you want to convert the high frequency to?

The OP wants a high frequency "converter".

What do you want to convert the high frequency to?

I just want to convert 220 AC to 5-12V DC, without using bulky and havy 50 hertz transformator but still separate between 2 phases (so I do not want to use a tiristor.

So I want to convert using hi frequency transformer

As I saied, no particular purpace, just for fun.

thank u for the fast reply.

Just search (or Google) for Buck Converter Schematic. You'll get more than you'll know what to do with.

How much current? Transformerless supplies are dangerous and you have to be careful. You can buy 5V 2A SMS wall warts that are safe and very small.

To avoid a 50Hz transformer you would rectify the raw AC to DC using a bridge rectifier and then use a DC-DC converter with a transformer that is configured to give an isolated output.

Try "dc dc converter"

Also, search all of Google, not just the images.

Oh, and just to tease a bit, I'm building one as we speak. :)

Last edited:
Controlled by: Microcontroller? Dedicated SMPS IC? 555 timer? Discrete?

If it's just for learning, I would not try to go directly from mains the first time. Get a power transformer with a 24 or 36v output to "simulate" mains without being quite so dangerous.

Research and build the subcircuits in this order...

1. Variable duty PWM controller
2. Buck circuit
3. Output voltage feeback
4. Output current feedback

This site has so many threads on PWM controllers you shouldn't need to go elsewhere. The buck circuit is simple and you'll find 100's of references on google. The feedback circuits can get a little tricky, but get the first two sections working first.

Controlled by: Microcontroller? Dedicated SMPS IC? 555 timer? Discrete?

If it's just for learning, I would not try to go directly from mains the first time. Get a power transformer with a 24 or 36v output to "simulate" mains without being quite so dangerous.

Research and build the subcircuits in this order...

1. Variable duty PWM controller
2. Buck circuit
3. Output voltage feeback
4. Output current feedback

This site has so many threads on PWM controllers you shouldn't need to go elsewhere. The buck circuit is simple and you'll find 100's of references on google. The feedback circuits can get a little tricky, but get the first two sections working first.

24V transformer I have, so I beleave I can use it for this "experiment"

I will try to find Variable duty PWM controller on GOOGLE

editing

trying to check the google. Coldnot find circuit that I need

Last edited:
Sangel, if you don't know exactly what you're doing 220V is not fun, it's dead. Be very sure you know what you're doing, connected incorrectly to 220V's directly most components will explode violently, even if they ARE connected correctly sometimes things go wrong.

Sangel, if you don't know exactly what you're doing 220V is not fun, it's dead. Be very sure you know what you're doing, connected incorrectly to 220V's directly most components will explode violently, even if they ARE connected correctly sometimes things go wrong.

If u red below, u can see, that I will use first sorce of 24V , but still I cannot find the schematic

The simplest 1 transistor solution is the power supply of the 12" BW Indesit TV built in the 70's, it was using germanium transitor and the line transformer.
I couldn't find the diagram though...

allegro, no one gave him a schematic because there are hundreds on the net already and we've been getting posts just like this twice a week or more. If the poster is serious about his project he'll use Google for 20 minutes find a few circuits and come back asking for suggestions on them. We can't do all the research for EVERYone here if they don't put a first step forward. And asking for a circuit is not a first step forward. This board is here to help people and collaborate on projects, not do them for you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back