DB9 (comm port) cable programming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krumlink

We have all programmed across a long cable, but I was thinking, would it be possible/a good idea to program across one of those 9 pin comm port cables? They come in plenty of lengths and are easy to use, not to mention that they are also more flexible than the ribbon cable. I say this, because it gets somewhat annoying to use a 6 inch or 12 inch ribbon cable, when I want to use a longer cable. Could you use a in line non inverting buffer to help boost the signal without any major errors in the transmission?

Also, what frequency is the VPP, PGC and PGD lines? I think that a 74AC240 will be fast enough.

the 74AC240 indicates switching speed (at 5VDC) at 4.2ns which equates to 250mhz. I doubt the programmer is even close to that.

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean here...Are you talking serial port to programmer or programmer to target device?

How long a cable length do you want to use?

My serial port programmer is connected using a cable about a metre long...no issues...

I've tried longer cables between the programming header and a target board....Didnt like it... 0.5 metres

It needs to be kept short.

Yeah, 3v0 (in chat) and bill have the right idea. Pickit2 onboard will work better/less effort by my part

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…