Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DB9 (comm port) cable programming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krumlink

We have all programmed across a long cable, but I was thinking, would it be possible/a good idea to program across one of those 9 pin comm port cables? They come in plenty of lengths and are easy to use, not to mention that they are also more flexible than the ribbon cable. I say this, because it gets somewhat annoying to use a 6 inch or 12 inch ribbon cable, when I want to use a longer cable. Could you use a in line non inverting buffer to help boost the signal without any major errors in the transmission?

Also, what frequency is the VPP, PGC and PGD lines? I think that a 74AC240 will be fast enough.

the 74AC240 indicates switching speed (at 5VDC) at 4.2ns which equates to 250mhz. I doubt the programmer is even close to that.

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean here...Are you talking serial port to programmer or programmer to target device?

How long a cable length do you want to use?

My serial port programmer is connected using a cable about a metre long...no issues...

I've tried longer cables between the programming header and a target board....Didnt like it... 0.5 metres

It needs to be kept short.

Yeah, 3v0 (in chat) and bill have the right idea. Pickit2 onboard will work better/less effort by my part :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back