• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Datalogger that can read PWM input and store in microSD card

IvanTan

Hi there! I am looking for a datalogging device that is small (Arduino Uno/ Nano size), automotive grade, and can store PWM input into a microSD card.

I am trying to read and store PWM data from a fuel level sensor.

Does anyone have any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Nigel Goodwin

Super Moderator
Most Helpful Member
Any of the ESP8266 or ESP32 boards, plus a micro-sd card board - you may well be able to source one of them with an SD card already on board.

Or a nano and micro-sd card, but the ESP's are a lot more powerful, particularly the ESP32.

Done a bit of searching, here's an ESP32 with an SD socket on board.

There's also a VERY tiny Arduino based serial logger, which you could reprogram to do what you want, but there's no easy access to the programming pins.

IvanTan

Hi Nigel,

Thank you so much for the rapid reply!

The ESP32 looks really promising. Not only can I use it to read and store PWM, I could also potentially access it over wifi to pull the data :)

Was having trouble looking for a suitable device and this would make things a lot easier!

Yours faithfully,
Ivan Tan

gophert

Most Helpful Member
Hi Nigel,

Thank you so much for the rapid reply!

The ESP32 looks really promising. Not only can I use it to read and store PWM, I could also potentially access it over wifi to pull the data :)

Was having trouble looking for a suitable device and this would make things a lot easier!

Yours faithfully,
Ivan Tan
Even easier would be a raspberry pi zero W. WiFi and full Linux computer for $10 to $15 each (depending on vendor). Or a full raspberry pi for $35 - connect hdmi monitor, keyboard, mouse and SD (or USB drive). All kinds of fun options. The best option depends on your current level of experience in whatever you've been doing to this point. All raspberry Pis also have plenty of external pins and excellent timing options for counting cpu cycles (or microseconds) for measuring your PWM time measurements.

IvanTan

Wow a raspberry pi zero w could work too! I'll have to compare this against project requirements to assess if we can use it.

Thank you for the suggestion!

IvanTan

Thanks for the recommendation! That could work, but I feel that a microcontroller that can actually process the data may be a better solution. I'll be sticking with the ESP32 WROOM

DrG

Hi there! I am looking for a datalogging device that is small (Arduino Uno/ Nano size), automotive grade, and can store PWM input into a microSD card.

I am trying to read and store PWM data from a fuel level sensor.

Does anyone have any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
You have already been given some good ideas. There is a very wide range of controllers that you can use and putting together a nice little logger is not all that difficult. [shameless plug] A few days ago, I wrote up a little data logger using a MKR WiFi 1010 / NANO 33 IOT and a SensorTag https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub/DrGee/yadl-yet-another-data-logger-5ab66f It was actually a re-do from one I built more than two years ago using a now defunct controller.

I think that once you get the details of what you want to record and how often and what precision of time stamping you need and so on and so forth, you can decide which controllers might be particularly advantageous.

Good luck with it keep us posted.

Latest threads

EE World Online Articles