Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DALLAS REAL TIME CLOCK - DS12C887 - MINIMUM ONBOARD BATTERY VOLTAGE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halsey

I am having some difficulty getting a board that has a Dallas Real Time Clock DS12C887+ to behave. The DS12C887+ has an onboard (and inaccesible) battery that is molded in. My suspicion is/was that the battery in it is flat. I have filed two slots in the side of the RTC and exposed the battery terminals. I get 2.92V from the RTC (using a Fluke 87 III which i think is fairly accurate). Would this be sufficient voltage to reliably operate the RTC or is it a bit too low. I can piggyback a Li-Ion battery as has been done by others (CR2030 or equivalent 3V which actually reads 3.2v) onto the RTC by gluing a button battery holder in place and soldering a couple of pigtails to the terminals i have exposed and then cutting the existing battery out of circuit. The manufacturers datasheet for the RTC can be found by searching "DS12885-DS12C887A.pdf". Does anyone know if 2.9V is enough to keep the RTC running reliably? Many thanks. Halsey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back