Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Custom plastic enclosures. Need help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electric Rain

I need help... I have always worried about housing for my projects. It's the hardest part I say. :roll: So, I was wondering if there was a website I could check out that anyone knows of that can make me custom plastic enclosures. I've looked, and there are plenty and plenty, but they are like... $4,000 (min.) because you have to order in bulk. I'm just a hobbyist, not a huge company that needs 50,000 of one type of enclosure. I have also looked up some things on doing it myself... :cry: Yeah...no. Can't do that. It would just be too hard, expensive, and time consuming.

So, what I'm asking for is this: A company that I can browse the website of and order custom, plastic enclosures in small quantities for a low price. And one more thing, I need them to be able to do odd shaped things, like cases for handheld things. Not just plastic boxes. Can someone pleeease help me? Really, I actually NEED help badly this time. :lol: Thanks.

Rain

I would go and make it myself using poly-carbonate,perspex and other similar plastics.

Poly-carbonate has to be heated with a powerful hair dryer or heat gun before you can bend it.

Perspex cxan be bent by brushing on acetone on the joint. It won't look professional the first time, but you'll get the hang of it.

pike said:
I would go and make it myself using poly-carbonate,perspex and other similar plastics.

Poly-carbonate has to be heated with a powerful hair dryer or heat gun before you can bend it.

Perspex cxan be bent by brushing on acetone on the joint. It won't look professional the first time, but you'll get the hang of it.

...alright. I could do that. I'll have to check into that later. Thanks Pike!

And yes, I have checked digikey, but they're... a little... you know... $$ :shock: and they don't have what I need because I need something VERY specific.

Electric Rain said:
And yes, I have checked digikey, but they're... a little... you know... $$ :shock: and they don't have what I need because I need something VERY specific.

Tooling up to make a custom enclosure is going to cost a lot of money, that's why they quote prices for thousands - you could have just one made, but the price is likely to be pretty much the same as ordering thousands, the amount of work is much the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back