Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

custom motorcycle led lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcflame

Hello everybody,

I would like to do a project on my motorcycle with led's. I would like to add to
my running, turn signal and brake lights.

I want to use individual led's in 2 different sections on the bike (one right
side and one left). I am looking to take these panels, drill holes and push them
through for a clean look. Wanting to use around 20 to 25 on each side.

So, they will be lit all the time as running lights dimly to match the rest of
the running lights, they will light fully with brake light, they will flash with
the turn signals even when the brake is on as any other bulb would that does
double duty as turn/brake lamp.

hears the kicker. If possible i would like them to illuminate sequentially with
the brake light but when the turn signal in in use to light as a group at the
same time. however if this will require lots of components needing lots of space
then it would be difficult to find a location for it. but if it can be done in a
more compact size then i might be ok.

my background does not include intricate electronics but i did spend 30 years in
the automotive service field (out for the past 6). I can take direction and have
a little electronics knowledge and like to learn new things and with some help
and simple terminology I think I would be ok. UNLESS, the consensus is that this
is not feasible.

that being the case I would digress to non sequential - just lighting as a
group.

Thank you all very much in advance for any input you may have.

Tommy

Ths is a project that crys out for a microcontroller like a PIC or Arduino.

Do you feel this is something a novice can tackle or is it way to complex and should i consider dumping the sequential idea?

Read up on the Arduino, and then decide.

Either way requires some reasonable knowledge, I'm sure a 4017 and some circuitry would do as you ask, however there would be some thinking and prototyping involved.
A microcontroler and just a few transistors would however do the task easily, the code for a experienced programmer is easy, however for your first program would be a little tricky.
The arduino is a platform designed to make projects easier to program/build, basic stamp is another one maybe not quite as popular.

Is it legal to tamper with lighting on a motorcycle? It is illegal with cars.

Some car drivers replaced the approved lighting on their cars with non-approved Chinese lighting. They are not bright enough or are too bright. They usually are not seen to the side. They are dangerous.

Its illegal to do stuff like this. Anything which may 'daze' the driver will be prohibited by law. So, consult with the local enforcers before committing.

Source: I have done this, got a ticket and ripped it ALL off.

Its illegal to do stuff like this. Anything which may 'daze' the driver will be prohibited by law.
Then what about fairly new Chrysler and Jeep cars and trucks?
Here in Canada we have "Daytime Running Lights". Most cars use dimmed low beams or marker lights as Daytime Running lights but Chrysler and Jeep use HIGH BEAMS AT FULL BLAST to blind oncoming drivers. On a cloudy day they are WAY TOO BRIGHT! School buses also drive with high beams at full brightness in the daytime.

heres what I've come up with at this point. after researching the arduino for the past week I think its over kill for what i'm trying to accomplish. if you break it down to the actual simplicity of it I think you'll agree.

I think I need the micro processor for the sequential feature only. For now i think I'll skip that.

the bike will take care of everything as far as inputs go. A 12v feed all the time the key is on for running lights, 12v feed from brake switch when activated and 12v feed from turn signal flasher during operation.

what i need is simple, i think. I have been researching it for the past week and think I have some things figured out. I will need a 5v fixed voltage regulator 7805 (probably more than 1 per side due to amp draw) various resistors, RGB led's and one thing that I cant put my finger on? I believe the RGB color is controlled by the exact voltage input to it. What do I need to use to set that voltage level? can it be done with resistors or do I need an adjustable voltage regulator?
ALSO, I'll need to know what to use to allow the feed from the turn signals to override the brake signal so they change color from red to amber?

I may not need the 5v regulator possibly according to something else I found. Going to this site and using the numbers I plugged in it appears to
be controlled through the use of resistors only.

**broken link removed**

Source voltage = 12
diode forward voltage = 2
diode forward current (mA) = 20
number of LEDs in your array = 225

Dose the use of the resistors control the voltage used through the led's??

I know I must sound like a babbling idiot but I'd really like to understand these basic theories and apply it.

Again, Thank you for your time and input and I'm sure I'll have follow up questions
Tommy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back