Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

custom ICSP pogo programming fixture - joint venture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fvnktion

Hello, I am trying to figure out how to make a custom programming fixture using pogo pins and a custom designed PCB. My idea is to have a programming fixture board with 5 installed pogo pins and 2 alignment pins. On the application board with the PIC, all i would need to do is to include the same programming footprint (5 pogo interface pads and 2 alignment holes) in order to used the same programming fixture.

My current designs are on very small boards and I am in need of programming the PIC by means of a minimally sized (.050" 5 onboard pads) and 2 aligment pin holes. This creates a very small outline on the board that will interface with the ICSP pins of the PIC. I have found some .050" pogo pins that will work in interfacing the board (http://www.idinet.com/_FileLibrary/PDF/pg42.pdf).

This is where I am stuck. My thinking is that I can design a custom fixture PCB to mount the pogo pins and alignment pins that will align the PIC board to the programming fixture with pogo pins and alignment pins for programming. My questions are: how do the Pogo pins mount to the PCB, how do I get them perfectly aligned (perpendicular the fixture board). What kind of alignment pins can I use?

I am in the process of designing the fixture PCB and plan on putting it onto a panel, which will give me plenty of extras in case anyone else can use this type of a programming interface on their designs. Please let me know if you would like to input on the design to make it universally usable . I am open to any other ideas that might make for a better programming fixture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back