Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Current Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsz

OK, I have a silly question but I'm sure so one can answer the question for me.

I'm trying to make a DC-DC comverter with an Input of 34VDC rated at 2 amps, and I'm thinking of bringing that down to 5VDC. My question is that would I only still have a maximum current of 2 amps or since my voltage went down will my current go up? I'm thinking of using an LM340 or somthing simular.

Thanks in Advance.

John

When You apply a dissipative regulator as LM340, the current of output equal to input. If the input voltage is 34V, output 5V, the difference 29V,multiple with 2A load = 58W dissipation (heat on LM340).
With switching regulator from 34V 2A input You can suck from output about 6A.

Recommended Component

I appriciate your response. What component or design would you recommend? I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible, If thats possible.

John

This is the link to a japanese switched mode power supply. It can deliver 5V at up to 2.5A from a supply of between 7 and 40VDC.

**broken link removed**

It uses a switched mode chip and just a few other bits, so efficiency is at a max and surplus heat at a minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back