Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Current Injection Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jester009

Hi,

I am required to come up with a current injection circuit. The circuit would output user defined currents(preferably use a microcontroller for this purpose) I'm looking for a range of 0A-12A.

Please any input is deeply appreciated, I'm clueless here :confused:

Thanks
Jester009

Hi Super,

Thanks for the reply. This is part of a project I am assigned. If I describe the whole scenario, this is what happens...

The user selects the level of current from an interface in the computer. Then the computer communicates wit a circuit and that specified current is injected from the circuit into a relay. The tripping time is sent back to the computer.

I'm talking about the circuit which output that specified current to the relay. Hope I made it clear enough. Current have to be controlled within 0 - 12A

Thanks
Jester009

So a circuit breaker tester, there would appear to be 3 parts to this
1. Generate the current
2. read the current
3. read the time delay in tripping the breaker

Yes, Can you shed any light on 'how to generate the current'
I have to complete the project within this month and I have no idea where to start :(

Thanks

Doesn't matter, circuit breakers will work with either, as for the current try relays switching at, say, 1 Amp levels and transistor-fet to supply at lower levels. So have a bank of relays directing the voltage source through a resistor which will keep the current to desired level to a paralleled output.
A careful selection of currents via the relays will reduce the amount of relays needed eg 1,2,4,5 Amps will give you 0-12Amps in 1 Amp steps except 8amps,so you can see 12 relays aren't needed. The transistor supply will need to be able to supply 0-1A.

Super_voip said:
A careful selection of currents via the relays will reduce the amount of relays needed eg 1,2,4,5 Amps will give you 0-12Amps in 1 Amp steps except 8amps.

I think you need to check your binary maths? :p

1, 2, 4 and 8 amps would make more sense, and give 1A steps from 0 to 15 amps. Even with the 5A you suggested, 8A is simple 5+2+1.

Super_voip said:
Doesn't matter, circuit breakers will work with either, as for the current try relays switching at, say, 1 Amp levels and transistor-fet to supply at lower levels. So have a bank of relays directing the voltage source through a resistor which will keep the current to desired level to a paralleled output.

What about Thyristors or triacs?

I have to inject an AC current ranging from 0-5A. Triacs or Thyrisotors do not produce pure sinusoidal waveforms. do they?

Jester009 said:
I have to inject an AC current ranging from 0-5A. Triacs or Thyrisotors do not produce pure sinusoidal waveforms. do they?

Neither do relays. They are to be used instead of relays:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back