Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Current Amps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Achiever

Hi Guys,

I have a device that requires a 7.5 volts 1.5 A supply. My problem is that the voltage source delivers 12 volts with max current output of 100mA. Not enough to power up the device. Before I was thinking of a DC-DC voltage regulator to step down voltage to required levels, but I still have the problem with current. I need to bring it up from 100mA to 1.5A. Perhaps I could use a current amplifier but I'm not sure if its the best solution to this problem.

Any suggestions or circuit reference I can look into to solve this problem?
Thanks any help would be appreciated.

Sorry, it can't be done:

7.5V * 1.5A = 11.25 Watts required
12V * 100mA = 1.2 Watts available.

Current amps can't created wattage out of free air. You need to find a proper power supply.

If you figure out how to do it, I want some stock in your company...

Brownout is correct. It's very similar to how force and distance/speed make work. You turn extra distance/speed into force, or extra force into distance/speed with levers or gears, but the amount of work (energy) stays the same. You can't make extra speed or force out of nowhere because then you're increasing the amount work/energy, which means you're making energy out of thin air.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back