Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Curious in RC Car Races

Status
Not open for further replies.
During a car race between Remote Controlled Cars for hobbyists, wouldn't their transmitters affect one another if they are operating around the same frequencies? Would that mean that some cars cannot race with some cars if their transmitters are the same frequencies?

Just curious on how they handle this kind of situation...

Spectacular Butter said:
During a car race between Remote Controlled Cars for hobbyists, wouldn't their transmitters affect one another if they are operating around the same frequencies? Would that mean that some cars cannot race with some cars if their transmitters are the same frequencies?

Just curious on how they handle this kind of situation...

The frequency band used is split in to a number of channels, these are colour coded and the drivers have similar coloured flags on the top of their aerials - so it's obvious if there is a problem. The crystals are usually plugin, so it's simple to change channels - a driver would normally have a few different sets to avoid clashes.

It's my understanding that organizers of RC events/races here in US require the cooperation of the participants and often require that transmitters be stored in a secure area - except those in use at the moment. The organizers work out any conflicts so that the concerns you expressed are addressed.

I raced one part of the season and made it to the Cactus Classic, if I remember right it was in Arizona. They made us give up our radio and all the work benches are in plain sight of track officials which are very snoopy.

I built my own motor arms and choose custom magnets and modified my speed controls, built batteries, made my own chassis for my RC-10. I was a full modified racer.

I was in competion untill 1994 that's about when Kinwald was a rookie in competion.

This is a pretty interesting subject. I guess I have a few question about RC transmitters in general. Is there any type of standard format for these signals, or does it vary wildly between vendors--like TV remotes do? I understand that they use PWM on each channel, but I guess I'm looking for some more details on it.

Alot of people in my day racing used FM, some used a form of PM, full PWM was just being introduced in the expensive models.

Modulation varies on cost and manufacturer/model.
AM 27MHz 72MHz 4 channels
AM/FM 75-75.990MHz Channel 1-69

I am unsure about the ranges as this might have changed since, and I just can't remember. I also don't know air based bands or frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back