Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cuba vs. Dominican Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frosty_47

I plant a vacation in third week of august and was wondering what your past traveling experiences (if any) have been. I've been to Cuba twice (Cayo Coco and Brisas Trinidad). I loved Cayo Coco but hatted Trinidad. I hear a lot of opinion from friends on this topic but a lot of it is controversial. So I ask you to share your experiences in hopes of finding the right place for me to travel.

Oh and I will be traveling alone. So I will need a place with lots of activities. Preferably; motorized vehicles, scuba diving, and something crazy in nature ;)

Oh and I do smoke cigars so that's also a matter of importance...

Last edited:
I went to Cuba and had a good safe time.
Friends went to The Dominican Republic and got robbed and stayed in a dump.

I went to Cuba some years ago, and it was a bittersweet experience. You know, inside the hotel everything is perfect. People is nice, and the tour guide will always show you the good looking sites. Beaches... beautiful, for sure. I found that excessive perfection boring, instead I like to meet the real people and the country itself. But that's a matter of taste I think.

Uutside the hotel walls, some people live with resentment against the Island's unfair system. To avoid unwanted discussions, I suggest you: Do not talk about certain topics (your country, your job) in front of taxicab drivers.

Another curious thing is, instead of begging for money, people asks you for a pen, a notebook, and similar materials.

Cuban Communists are proud of giving free education... But that's worthless if you can't find anybody to hire you. They are swimming on under-employed over-educated people.

Their economy is funny. Do you want to shell your art works? Do your kids make limonade or brownies? Noup, you cannot shell it. People are not allowed to shell anything. Only the goverment can shell goods.

Last edited:
Their economy is funny. Do you want to shell your art works? Do your kids make limonade or brownies? Noup, you cannot shell it. People are not allowed to shell anything. Only the goverment can shell goods.

You mean sell, not shell. :D Don't be offended, I know English isn't your first language but you'll never know unless someone tells you.

Yes, it's known as a command economy, meaning it's run entirely by the government who are the all powerful big brother, like it used to be in Russia.

I've never been to Cuba, I would like to go though.

You have to be careful because there are lots of things you're not allowed to take into the country.
**broken link removed**

I can understand them not wanting to to take any VCRs, computers or communications equipment (it would threaten the communist state's control of information) but heating and air conditioning equipment wtf?

Offense? No way! Instead thank you very much!!! I really appreciate your effort. Torben also helped me with some grammar disasters :)

I think they are trying to control the monopoly. For example, if you have a relative living in Cuba, you cannot send him the A/C unit as a gift. So, he's forced to buy the A/C from the goverment. :mad:

I've heard that Venezuela (located next to Colombia, at the right side) is under the same domination, thanks to their president Hugo Chavez. But is just a guess. Only the people who's living there can give a valid opinion.

Last edited:
Yes, I've heard about Venezuela heading that way, better keep an eye on your government: you don't want them joining the commie club.

According to freedom house Venezuela is partly free and so is Columbia, if your worried (and I think you have a right to be worried), you should push your government for more democracy. Heck I often worry about our government being too authoritarian, I'm just glad they've dropped the ridicules compulsory ID card scheme.

Anyway back on topic, sorry for talking politics.

The Dominican republic looks like a nice place, yes crime is a problem but at least it's free country so if you're accused of a crime you won't get beaten up be the police, there again in Cuba it's easier to bribe the police.:D

When it comes to those south-sea armpit islands, stay in the tourism spots and don't veer from them. The govs. tend to make sure those areas aren't stained with the dirt and crime of the interior areas. Tourism is their bread and butter, next to drugs and perhaps bananas.

I have never been to any of the areas that you speak of but I would be weary, as poverty often breeds indifference and depravity.

Stay safe my friend :)

It is very nice in Cuba (because there are no rude Americans there).
The friendly tourists are from all over the world (except not from USA).

Aren't Americans allowed to go to Cuba?

I didn't know that. I suppose it wouldn't surprise me, given how the two countries have fallen out with each other.

I undstange you can't take your mobile phone with you; is that true? That would be annoying but I suppose there are advantages of not having it.

Aren't Americans allowed to go to Cuba?

I didn't know that. I suppose it wouldn't surprise me, given how the two countries have fallen out with each other.

I undstange you can't take your mobile phone with you; is that true? That would be annoying but I suppose there are advantages of not having it.

You are allowed to take mobile phones, laptops, camcorders, cameras, etc.
This propaganda about not being able to take these things to Cuba is far out of line.

What you are not allowed to do: Take pictures or video recording of Children, Military Installations or Military Personal. You risk your equipment being confiscated if you do so.

You can sell certain things in Cuba such as Paintings, Souvenirs, and other goods at a market. I have been bombarded by locals trying to sell me stuff when I was in town.

Air Conditionings are not allowed because Cuba has a big Power Shortage. The Soviets abandoned the construction of Nuclear Power Plant there so Cuba is putting restrictions on AC due to poor power generation.

I am not sure if you will be able to bribe the police there. I suppose it depends on your offense and the policeman.

Last edited:
I went to Cuba some years ago, and it was a bittersweet experience. You know, inside the hotel everything is perfect. People is nice, and the tour guide will always show you the good looking sites. Beaches... beautiful, for sure. I found that excessive perfection boring, instead I like to meet the real people and the country itself. But that's a matter of taste I think.

Uutside the hotel walls, some people live with resentment against the Island's unfair system. To avoid unwanted discussions, I suggest you: Do not talk about certain topics (your country, your job) in front of taxicab drivers.

Another curious thing is, instead of begging for money, people asks you for a pen, a notebook, and similar materials.

Cuban Communists are proud of giving free education... But that's worthless if you can't find anybody to hire you. They are swimming on under-employed over-educated people.

I agree on a lot with you. However I never had a problem with locals there. There are a lot of interesting and well educated locals you can meet and have a descent conversation on any topic (politics too).

There are however some Cubans that will only try and fool you by selling you bad home rolled cigars advertised as the real stuff. I however smoked enough cigars to tell the difference right of the bat.

But I still hate it when these "Cigar Salesman" assume that I am a complete idiot and know nothing about cigars.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back