Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Score: Power Company 2 Vs. Squirrels 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reloadron

Most Helpful Member
Thought I would share this. A week ago right about this time of day there was what sounded like a loud explosion (the house shook) and our power momentarily dipped. I assumed a transformer blew up our short street. Aside from the dip our power remained. The dip was about a second if that. What happened was a squirrel managed to get across the transformer feed below the fuse. The squirrel was literally vaporized.

On our street that transformer feeds 8 residences including our next door neighbor and neighbors across the street going West to the main intersection. The remainder of us run off another transformer going East to the next main intersection.

So here we are a week to the day later and about the same time and Ka Boom! Another vaporized squirrel. I haven't a clue what attracts the squirrels unless they have a death wish?

Getting cold up here in NE Ohio and last time it took the power company about 6 hours get out here and change the fuse. We offer the neighbors a warm house. :)

Ron

So here we are a week to the day later and about the same time and Ka Boom! Another vaporized squirrel. I haven't a clue what attracts the squirrels unless they have a death wish?

Getting cold up here in NE Ohio and last time it took the power company about 6 hours get out here and change the fuse. We offer the neighbors a warm house.

hi Ron,
Unless its the warmth of the transformer housing as the weather is getting colder.?:nailbiting:
Eric

Squirrels looking for hidden nuts?

I haven't a clue what the attraction is? Do squirrels have a thing about 60 Hz. A few have done it during the summer so I sort of ruled warmth out but now two in a week? Just weird. Last summer we had one get across the 240 volts. Just a pop and here was this squirrel on the ground with some burned fur. Me and a few neighbors were standing there discussing body disposal (and having a beer) when I noticed it was alive. Over a 20 min. period that squirrel shook it off, finally got right side up and scampered off. We laughed like heck at that one.

Not bad now at 41 degrees F. Actually a nice sunny day.

I still haven't figured the very loud boom out either. I mean each time the entire house shook and we are a good few hundred meters from the pole and transformer. As I mentioned, I initially thought the transformer exploded but nope.

Ron

My transformer had a fried snake, but no blown fuse. I guess our NE OH snakes have lower ampere ratings than squirrels.

Edit: I happened to talk to the service person about it. He told me that when that fuse went, it would sound like an explosion. My guess is that since a higher voltage is being interrupted, they want to be sure it is interrupted. Those fuses may be designed to explode.

John

Last edited:
Hi John and thanks as that would explain the boom. The fuse sits enclosed in a sort of ceramic enclosure and above that is the knife switch. The CEI (First Energy) routine is funny. Neighbor calls First Energy. A few guys show in a pick up truck. That usually happens within the first hour. They stare at the pole and transformer for maybe 30 min and go away. Later a bucket truck shows up, this can take 5 plus hours to happen and they replace the fuse. If I notice them this time I'll wander down the street for a good look.

This being retired is fun. :)

Ron

Not surprised, I lived with First Energy. Now, I am with the Lorain-Medina Rural Coop. It seems much more friendly. By coincidence, I happened to look up the story on the 2003 blackout. Apparently, First Energy didn't have to pay a fine, because there was no law against providing unreliable service.

We both lived through it. Here's the Wikipedia story: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_Blackout_of_2003

John

I remember that well. :)

When we lost power I assumed it was local. I had the kitchen sink running and noticed a sudden drop in water line pressure. Immediately started filling buckets so we would have dog water. Didn't know what was up but knew it was big. Hooked up our then smaller generator. Today we have whole house with automatic transfer. I like that! Runs on natural gas.

First Energy doesn't quite have a stellar track record! :)

Ron

My brother managed a bunch of mountain top radio repeater sites. He had stories involving using snowcats and helicopters to restore power on the mountaintop. Seems that a pack rat was carrying a shiny piece of aluminum foil in its mouth while building a nest inside a live electrical panel that was missing a knock out...

My brother managed a bunch of mountain top radio repeater sites. He had stories involving using snowcats and helicopters to restore power on the mountaintop. Seems that a pack rat was carrying a shiny piece of aluminum foil in its mouth while building a nest inside a live electrical panel that was missing a knock out...

Saw similar on a small scale with a neighbor. Birds built a nest at the meter box (missing a knock out) on a neighbors house. Foil shorted the 240 volts which in turn started a fire in the box. The fire was short lived but cooked the meter and wiring.

The neighbors got power back today after the usual 6 hours. Still can't get over that, a week to the day.

Ron

The reason the fuses explodes is because they're meant to. They have an explosive charge that fires a pin out of the end which in turn triggers a switch mechanism to trip all phases. The reason all phases have to be tripped is to stop damage to 3 phase devices. I once had the job to design a reusable fuse simulator to test that our switches tripped with the minimum amount of energy that a fuse pin could have.

Thinking more about this and a fuse blowing is more like a gun shot than an explosion. I'd guess the explosion was the squirrel vaporizing.

Mike.

The reason the fuses explodes is because they're meant to. They have an explosive charge that fires a pin out of the end which in turn triggers a switch mechanism to trip all phases. The reason all phases have to be tripped is to stop damage to 3 phase devices. I once had the job to design a reusable fuse simulator to test that our switches tripped with the minimum amount of energy that a fuse pin could have.

Thinking more about this and a fuse blowing is more like a gun shot than an explosion. I'd guess the explosion was the squirrel vaporizing.

Mike.

Thanks Mike. Now I have a handle on the bang and as mentioned it is a heck of a bang. Being an active shooter if I compared to a gunshot it would be more along the lines of a shotgun than say a rifle or any handgun. I was just totally surprised at the force, as I mentioned the house shook and we are up the street.

Ron

Thought I would share this. A week ago right about this time of day there was what sounded like a loud explosion (the house shook) and our power momentarily dipped. I assumed a transformer blew up our short street. Aside from the dip our power remained. The dip was about a second if that. What happened was a squirrel managed to get across the transformer feed below the fuse. The squirrel was literally vaporized.

On our street that transformer feeds 8 residences including our next door neighbor and neighbors across the street going West to the main intersection. The remainder of us run off another transformer going East to the next main intersection.

Getting cold up here in NE Ohio and last time it took the power company about 6 hours get out here and change the fuse. We offer the neighbors a warm house. :)

Ron

This ones good for Myth Buster. The mystery of Vaporizing Squirrels.

Score update: Power Company 3 vs. Squirrels 0

Score another squirrel for the evil power company. This morning at about 10 AM EST another Kaboom and another squirrel gone forever. I don't get it? The transformer feeding us isn't but maybe 200 yards up the road from the other. I can't understand what attracts the squirrels to that specific transformer. Three squirrels in less than a month? That transformer has been there the 25 years I have been in this house. All of a sudden 3 squirrels?

Ron

Score update: Power Company 3 vs. Squirrels 0

Score another squirrel for the evil power company. This morning at about 10 AM EST another Kaboom and another squirrel gone forever. I don't get it? The transformer feeding us isn't but maybe 200 yards up the road from the other. I can't understand what attracts the squirrels to that specific transformer. Three squirrels in less than a month? That transformer has been there the 25 years I have been in this house. All of a sudden 3 squirrels?

Ron

I know they are cannibals, in fact they will consume one of their own down to skin and bones, even in the presents of other food stuffs. Their just a rat hiding in a ball of fluff. I wouldn't doubt they could smell the first 2 and upon investigation get smitten by the Voltage. I don't think this will be the last of them, they are to curious with each new victim, I think it's only going to add to the attraction. It might get worse during winter, or the snow might cover up the smell?

I know they are cannibals, in fact they will consume one of their own down to skin and bones, even in the presents of other food stuffs.

Well if that's the case dinner is served and cooked too!

On the bright side for the neighbors the power company was here within an hour this time and again fixed things.

Ron

a nest inside a live electrical panel that was missing a knock out...

With that you refer to the enclosure, Mike?

First time I hear (read) the expresion. Any other equivalent? Maybe "cabinet" or am I too much off?

I presume that "cabinet" is not for outdoors. (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back