Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Crystal oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.

mactack

Hello,

I'm looking for a crystal oscillator (I'm building a digital clock). Would this one do: **broken link removed**

What capacitors should I use, 36pF ?

Thanks

mactack said:
Hello,

I'm looking for a crystal oscillator (I'm building a digital clock). Would this one do: **broken link removed**

What capacitors should I use, 36pF ?

Is this the crystal to drive a microcontroller? Can you provide more details on the digital clock?

yes, it'll be to drive the microcontroller (a pic16f690). The clock is a binary clock (each digit displayed in binary) with 13 leds and 2 push buttons.

I tried using the internal clock but it's way off and from what I understand, the internal clock depends on voltage, temperature, ... anyway.

Most of the datasheets will give you cap values for the Mhz/Khz crystals. Just check the datasheet.

BeeBop said:
Hi,

I believe what you want it Load Capacitance, which is given on your data sheet as 18pF

Ah, I thought I had read somewhere it should be a little under twice the load capacitance...

What is the difference between a crystal and an oscillator? The oscillator includes the capacitors?

What is the difference between a crystal and an oscillator? The oscillator includes the capacitors?
The oscillator contains an amplifier/transistor. The crystal provides a feedback path to make the amplifier/transistor scream at a set frequency.
Your pic16f690 has this amplifier built in and the datasheet specifies the types of crystals and caps you should use.

Ah, I thought I had read somewhere it should be a little under twice the load capacitance...
I only made that suggestion because 18pF looks close to what has always worked for me. On any pic I have had good luck with 15 or 20 pF caps, and I never go through all the calculations, etc, which you find in the PIC data sheets. 36pF seemed a little high, but it will probably work too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back