Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CRT Oscilloscope - controlling deflector coil with MOSFET

Status
Not open for further replies.

sleeper1987

Hi.
I'm trying to control an old CRT using a microcontroller, and I need to drive the deflector coils with reasonably large voltages.

I've got a few questions I'd really appreciate some help with:

- To deflect the beam both ways, I need to be able to apply a positive and negative voltages to the coil. Simplest way, I figure, is to bias one side at a mid voltage, and swing the other beween 0 and the maximum. Does this sound reasonable?

- I'm not sure how to switch the larger voltage using the microprocessor's 5v output. I could use PWM to control a mosfet in saturation, or get an analogue voltage via a resistor ladder, to operate it in linear mode. How would I go about doing either of these, and as I understand I need Vgs to be greater than Vds in either case?

- The coil has a resistance of something like 60ohms. How should I isolate it from the power supply, so as to prevent it effectively shorting the supply when connected by the mosfet?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
How about an H-Bridge?
Deflection amplifiers are usually a voltage-controlled current source.

I would use an audio power amplifier chip. Just make sure it's stable into an inductive load.

Thanks for the replies!
As for the audio power amp: How can I tell if it's capable of handling inductive loads? Would any amp designed to drive speakers directly be ok for that?

Unfortunately, I'm restricted to buying from here, so there's little choice:

**broken link removed**

Do any of those seem suitable?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Typically the vertical coils require little current and are slow to respond. They are built to run at 60hz. The horizontal coils take much more current and run faster. TV=15khz. VGA=32khz. The coils deflect the beam with current so the amplifier must have current feedback.

Is the CRT from a TV or monitor?

Typically the vertical coils require little current and are slow to respond. They are built to run at 60hz. The horizontal coils take much more current and run faster. TV=15khz. VGA=32khz. The coils deflect the beam with current so the amplifier must have current feedback.

Is the CRT from a TV or monitor?

Interesting! In that case, I'll probably rotate the coils so that the horizontal one is slower. The CRT's from a TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back