Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Creating a strong Electro Magnetic Pulse

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol i know how to generate an explosively powered emp. -.-' i was just looking for a way to amplify the emp signal generated by a tank circuit... guess its back to the drawing board. thanks any ways people... -.-'

Last edited:
There is absolutely nothing whatsoever fictional about an EMP Nigel, they're not just practical =) Big difference.

I wouldn't call it a 'big difference' :D - SciFi shows EMP as 'stopping cars' (new Night Rider anyone?) and all kinds of silly things - not true at all.

People post on here expecting what they see on the TV to be real - which it's not.

A lot of fiction is based on fact, the author just uses a little imagination and 'what-if' to write the story, to make it interesting and entertaining. I think where a lot of people get confused, is where they see the similarities in a work of fiction, and the actual science. There have been quite a few fictional devices, that have actually been realized. Who would have imagined a video phone, let alone one you could carry in your pocket or wear on your wrist, 30 years ago... Comic book stuff, and now common place.

But there are many things, that will never be practical in reality, but do exist to some degree. EMP is destructive, and not very selective, so it's doubtful anyone is going to do much development. If it were promising, I'd think somebodies military would already have it. Also, nothing is free, you get less power out, than you put into it. Most everything these days, has some sort of protection from Electro-magnetic waves, since we are flooded with them. We pass by powerful transmitters all the time, and it doesn't kill our cars, or other electronics, so how much power are you going to need to get any useful effect?

A lot of fiction is based on fact, the author just uses a little imagination and 'what-if' to write the story, to make it interesting and entertaining. I think where a lot of people get confused, is where they see the similarities in a work of fiction, and the actual science. There have been quite a few fictional devices, that have actually been realized. Who would have imagined a video phone, let alone one you could carry in your pocket or wear on your wrist, 30 years ago... Comic book stuff, and now common place.

A great many fictional devices have later become fact - but not all of them by any means :D

Home Computers and Mobile Phones were hardly mentioned at all in SciFi though, an example where reality beat SciFi.

But there are many things, that will never be practical in reality, but do exist to some degree. EMP is destructive, and not very selective, so it's doubtful anyone is going to do much development. If it were promising, I'd think somebodies military would already have it.

As I understand it, the military have spent millions on EMP development and experiments?.

Also, nothing is free, you get less power out, than you put into it. Most everything these days, has some sort of protection from Electro-magnetic waves, since we are flooded with them. We pass by powerful transmitters all the time, and it doesn't kill our cars, or other electronics, so how much power are you going to need to get any useful effect?

Not entirely true - a guy I know out in Spain (Malaga way somewhere) drove to his local police station to produce documents or something, and his car wouldn't start when he came back out. He rang the garage, who sent a tow truck out - who towed him 50 yards down the road, and the car then started perfectly. Apparently there's a large transmitter, and it prevents various models of car starting if too close - and the garage has a thriving business doing short tows :p

I doubt this is an isolated case, and there's certainly at least one area of the UK I've heard of that's similar.

hi Nigel,
As I understand it, the military have spent millions on EMP development and experiments?.

There was a TV documentary recently showing military EMP disabling a car, very short range, overhead gantry type device, about 15mtr square.
It appeared to be size of a trash can.
If its advertised to be shown, I will let you know.

hi Nigel,

There was a TV documentary recently showing military EMP disabling a car, very short range, overhead gantry type device, about 15mtr square.
It appeared to be size of a trash can.
If its advertised to be shown, I will let you know.

I've seen similar things before - hardly practical is it :D

I wonder how many billions they spend to get that far?

Nigel, they're still spending it =) They need to find out what the limits are, that's why it's called research and development => With any luck anything they create will prove useful in other fields, problem is the military will black bag the data you can pick such devices up at the local super market and then release all there data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back