Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Creating a strong Electro Magnetic Pulse

Status
Not open for further replies.

wal.ee

Hi, I wish to create a strong electro magnetic pulse by using a circuit... will a short capacitor discharge through an inductor do the trick or not?

Just one question: why?

This question gets asked often and the answer is always the same: it's a very bad idea because it's both illegal and highly dangerous.

Strong is not a measure of Gauss, short is not a measure of time, yes or no is not the answer to a question which require parameters and design goals.

Hero, could you please explain to us what this has to do with the original posters question? Wait for their response before you judge them on previous posts that have nothing to do with them.
The number of users that come here with poor communication/language skills are much greater than those of that are actually stupid =)

Sorry, I don't know what else a strong electromagnetic pulse could be?

Sorry, I don't know what else a strong electromagnetic pulse could be?

It could be used to magnetise a piece of ferrous or wipe magnetic tapes or be used for crack detection in metals and so on and so on.

You should not jump to conclusions when a post appears, because you dont understand its purpose, I find its best to ask the OP.

It could be used to magnetise a piece of ferrous or wipe magnetic tapes or be used for crack detection in metals and so on and so on.

You should not jump to conclusions when a post appears, because you dont understand its purpose, I find its best to ask the OP.

Yes, I suppose you're right, it was wrong of me to jump to conclusions.

uh its for a science project. I wanted to make an emp generator. but now i m more interested in what eric said. that is detecting cracks in metals using emp.

Last edited:
Uh not really -.-' i have no intention of using it as any kind of weapon... the emp generated can be used for various things other than weaponry

OK wally, tell us what?

JimB

well jim for starters to design a system that can negate the effects caused by emp u must study a practical model of an emp generator. other than that shock waves can be used to destroy kidney stones. you can use them to disable vehicles. they can be used in security systems. my purpose well i wish to first study the emp generator and write a short report/thesis on its effects

and nigel this thing was used way before... the first time i saw emp was in a game of the series called command and conquer

There is absolutely nothing whatsoever fictional about an EMP Nigel, they're not just practical =) Big difference.

Explosively pumped flux compression generator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
would be one example of a non nuclear EMP generator. Main problem being the explosive used to create it is typically more effective than the EMP it generates in the first place. They're also relatively easy to defend against, grounded metal housings and appropriate TVS suppression on incoming/outgoing lines will protect against them except at extremely close distance, which again if you have close distance you might as well just blow it up normally, far more effective.

wal.ee I'm not sure what use they would have in stopping a vehicle, or in security systems, all systems I know of that exist that can do that are nothing more than high voltage pulses such as a taser or the vehicle disabling ones are nothing more than high voltage arcs designed to fry the electrical system, a far cry from the classical description of an EMP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back