Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Creating a circuit for turn signals on a vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL

okay, thanks

I just checked my tracking number from Janeco, and my supplies wont come in until Monday :( so I'll have to wait until then before I start trying out my circuit on the breadboard

Thanks for all the input; I'll post back with my results, and hopefully the finished product!

some body mentioned to me that I could just use a pair of bipolar transistors instead of 4 separate diodes?

does that sound right?

they also provided this:

**broken link removed**

Do not do that. Although a transistor does look like that to a voltmeter, that is with the other terminal disconnected. As soon as you get base-emitter current flowing, more current can flow from the collector to the emitter . That will effectively short out the supply.

If you want to cut down the number of components, buy a bridge rectifier. The are 4 diodes in the correct arrangement, often made from discrete diodes repackaged for ease of use.

If you want to cut down the number of components, buy a bridge rectifier. The are 4 diodes in the correct arrangement, often made from discrete diodes repackaged for ease of use.

BINGO!!!

that is EXACTLY what I'll do!

wow, I love super-simple solutions :D

Thank you!

Last edited:
just use one relay, and then you can use bulbs or leds :)

with the sidelights off the relay pulses in time to the indicators, with the sidelights on it pulses out of time.

do i win?:D

Attachments

• switcher.gif
    switcher.gif
    5.8 KB · Views: 163
ummmm, what?

do you have anything besides paint to draw that schematic in?

I think I'm just going to use the bridge rectifier; that's the simplest solution I've seen yet; everything is in one little package

Last edited:
well, it was super easy to construct using the bridge rectifiers, but I'll wait until Monday when the rest of my supplies come in, so that I can test it out before installing and wiring it up in the truck :D

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

I just need to dig out the hot glue gun and dab a little inside the box on the wires to keep the wires from moving around and pulling out, and it'll be ready to mount in the truck

Last edited:
ummmm, what?

do you have anything besides paint to draw that schematic in?

I think I'm just going to use the bridge rectifier; that's the simplest solution I've seen yet; everything is in one little package

my one relay solution is simpler than your two bridges. as for my choice of cad package, would autocad have conveyed the message any better?

in case of confusion, the relay being high resistance will earth out via the bulbs, without illuminating them.

I think they're both about equal in complexity. Those two bridges are for both sides; one bridge per side. With your method, youre just using one relay per side.

So they're both very easy to do. If for whatever reason this bridge configuration doesn't work right, I'll get some solid state relays and try your meathod.

so as proof of concept to myself, since I'm rather new at this, I tried my original schematic out

it took a little tweaking, but it does work like I had hoped :)

added a 555 timer circuit to simulate the turn signals

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

I'm going to get some incandescent bulbs tomorrow and try out my little black box

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Well guys, I just want to thank you for all the input! The two bridge rectifiers work PERFECT on a bench test :D

took me a little while to get to the actual test, but, it works flawlessly

just have to get the chance to probe some wires in my truck to find what wires are what to tap into, and then run the wires to the side mirrors for the LED's

well guys, thanks again for all your input!

I installed the circuit on the truck today, and it works GREAT!

I modified the original black-box design to make it modular and able to be removed from the truck easily if needed

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

but here it is working on the truck, just as it's suppose to :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back