Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Create static charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarr

Hi,
I want to create a static charge, it can be mains powered, ideally solid state (no moving parts) along the lines of a van de graaf genetrator but solid state.

Any ideas anyone?

zevon8 said:
Tesla Coil ?

search www.google.com for " tesla coil " .... you will be amazed at what can be done. Its not for beginners though, can be dangerous.

Tesla coil does not create static charge, nor can it be modified to do so. No way to rectify high voltage at that frequency.

Most common solution is to use a low freq voltage doubler, it's an array of high voltage caps and diodes. That's what usually goes into air ionizers, etc.

How much high voltage and current? Same question as always- what are you trying to do?

Correct Oznog, A Tesla coil does not produce a static charge. My take on the question was what alot people want to do with a Van der Graaf generator, throw a big spark at a grounded object.

my bad

At the risk of offending, by which I in no way mean to do, why not ask for ideas on making a home made electro-static precipitator, or air cleaner.

We all could have got there in one step.

Thanks, just me 2 cents worth.

The voltage multiplier circuits used in these devices must be very carefully constructed, often you will need voltages in the range of 8 to 10 thousand volts to create a suitably effective grid charge. The capacitors are easily available, bu the rectifiers are going to be expensive.

try a search for voltage doublers or Villard cascade / multiplier , similar to what's used in TV flyback circuits for the CRT circuits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back