Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Create a 50 Lite LED string In Parallel

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack0987

As in previous threads, my outdoor LED light strings mostly fail during the winter season. Only about 1/3 remain lit after about 4 months. Last year, I filled each socket with silicone paste to no avail.

I chose the socketed ones so that I can make them multi-colored.

I see no other option but to cut them apart and rewire each LED in parallel and use a low voltage DC power supply. Strings of 50 lites would be ideal for me.

Since adding a resistor for each LED would be rather tedious, the hope is to power entire the string at the right voltage. This is where I need help.

5 volt USB power supplies are fairly cheap and easy to come by but are to high for the LEDs. Maybe I could use them with one 2 or 3 watt resistor.

Please offer your thoughts.

lite1.jpg
IMG_20220909_105044.jpg

The one you originally suggested -
would not be enough for a 50 lite string, would it?
You meant it to be just an example?
Mainly as an example, but with constant current it doesn't matter - the current will simply be shared among the LED's (assuming they are all identical), regardless of how many there are. As it comes it's set to 600mA, but it gives instructions on how to alter it to 1A.

Looking into outdoor wire type to use, gauge, insulator, and flexibility.

Thinking 18 AWG stranded with PVC insulator but may not be very flexible.

From what I have gathered, a silicone insulated wire with more strands may be the best for flexibility.

I have found this:

To help, do you think I could reduce the ground wire to a #20?

From what I have gathered, a silicone insulated wire with more strands may be the best for flexibility.

I have found this:

To help, do you think I could reduce the ground wire to a #20?
The #20 wire is 0.5 mm2. I wouldn't run that at the 11 A that the ebay listing quotes, but up to 5 A would be fine. The current will depend on how many LED strings are in parallel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back