Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Course level assist in stealth mode??

Status
Not open for further replies.

OlPhart

Maybe it's me, but it seems like a Lot of recent requests are for "line follower" circuitry assistance. This stinks of people in school trying to have others do their work.

I may be out of line... but I request all of "us" who Know how to do this stuff, to NOT respond to such requests. In this, and as other common themes become discovered, we should resist because it cheats both the system and the student (they are just too myopic to realize it).

Being a newbie... am I wrong? Is this cheating,... And is it still frowned upon?
BTW @ age 57, my tag is appropriate: Set in my ways,.. that you must Earn your stripes. <<<)))

The forums are overflowing with students wanting someone else to do their assignment. On occasion with particularity aggressive toadies I'll ask if I can get the credit for doing their assignment.

I agree that a handout is not helping anybody but as in life a handout takes less effort than tutoring. If a poster is on their 500th post and still struggling with the same question they asked in their first post well
not everyone is cut out for electronics.

After awhile the forums start feeling like the movie Groundhog Day, same students with the same questions over & over.

Cheating, perhaps, unless they're in a business management course then they're A students.

Getting them to read the stickies would be like expecting them to use Google first. Isn't going to happen.

Perhaps if the stickies contained something they needed to know before they could post.

A friend of mine once said 'Schools teach "what to think" rather than "How to think". There is a big difference..

Now there is an interesting topic for someone to tackle. I've been doing the "How to think" all my life and it started by "taking things apart" There's a big difference between the internet and the textbook and you can go through tons of schooling and not know how to solder.

There's no question that you need basics, but the real value comes when you design and/or work with available tools. Many times the tools aren't affordable and now your in a catch-22 situation.

Basically this is "thinking out loud" or "food for thought". I don't have an answer at the moment.

Wow, I'm so new to this forum, it's accidental that I voiced such a common concern, but also quite reassuring. I like EMs' direction, as to blueroom: I'll try to find such a sticky & point them to it instead of answering directly.

I'm saddened when I read a request for help articulated in a manner that points out just how far the poster is from understanding their question. But, I'm here & glad of it, because it's equally heartening when the opposite occurs.

I suspect most of us got here on a path similar to KISSs'. I sure don't have a good approach to teaching the "How". I'm that it's experience: the more situations you see, the better you'll handle the next one. There's no substitute... <<<)))

I wish I had a handy word that described a poster that was in way over their head. Noob?

What gets my collar ruffled is folks assuming they can master electronics with no previous knowledge in a couple of weeks. These type of posters always have an agenda (they need product x and figure how hard can it be)
Second place are the "Patent" seekers, they post vague nearly worthless posts looking for a solid answer to a question worded in such a way as to be as cryptic as possible. To them I recommend reading Don Lancaster's Guru's Lair site (a very wise man)

2 come immed.: ^h2o, but I prefer unk-unk to refer to the post over denigrating the poster.
Unk-unk was coined in the late '60s in Fortune magazine for getting the wrong answers when you don't know enough to pose the right questions, eg. the equation had an unknown, unknown. <<<)))

Hi,

What i have found is it is very hard to judge a newcomer to the forum as to what is really motivating them. Are they trying to cheat somehow or are they struggling to find answers to questions that they cant find anyone else to answer no matter how hard they try. If they cheat they wont pass when it comes time for the test right?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back