Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Counters

Status
Not open for further replies.

abees81

guys am trying to use a 64 kbyte EPROM but I need 16 bit address pins.
I have two counters one with 12 outputs and the other with 4 output.
I thought of ANDing all the 12 outputs from the first counter with the clock and input the result to the clock of the 4 bit counter but it will never work properly.
Does anyone know how to connect them togther
to count from 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 to 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111?
many thanks.

Depends on what counters you have?, if you use the correct ones you can simply connect them in series, they are designed to work that way - it's going back decades, but I seem to remember you use 'ripple counters'?.

Connect the 12th bit of the 12-bit counter to the clock of the 4-bit counter. Bits 1 to 4 on the 4-bit counter are bits 13 to 16 on the 16-bit counter you've just made.

Nigel Goodwin said:
I've just done a quick google - you might find this helpful?.
http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/counting.htm

Thanks Nigel for this informations.

well I found out that because am using synchronous counters which count on the rising-edge of the pulse, I need to invert the most significant bit of my first counter and connect it as an input clock to the next counter. this will make sure that when bit 4 of this sequence (0000 1111) goes low, it will give a rising edge pulse to the clock of the next counter forcing into start counting to (0001 0000) and etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back