Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Counter With Base

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssloane

I am trying to figure out how to create a counter with a selectable base. So that the counter will Count up until it reaches the base then It will count up on another counter to show howmany times the base has been met. At that point it will reset the first counter. This is my first project and I am sooo lost. Any ideas?

Scott

two counters and some gates , would do it..
how many counts for the 'base' are we talking about..?

Well thats the tricky part... For this project I will require a base that can be changed via a up and down button anywhere from 1 - 999. I know it is possible, but to be honest with you I haven't done anything like this before.

Just to let you know about how much experiance I have with electronics... I am a web developer, my boss has just picked me to make this device for him and I dont know why he would choose me, but he did. So pritty much my job is on the line and I am scrambleing to try to figure out what exactly to do about this. But my job is kindof on the line here and fankly I am more lost than anything else.

there are other chips i'm sure ,but you could use three binary counters one for each digit( for the base).. have each one count 0-9 in order up to 999..and you could use a forth to count up to 15 times that the base has been met..

ssloane said:
Just to let you know about how much experiance I have with electronics... I am a web developer, my boss has just picked me to make this device for him and I dont know why he would choose me, but he did. So pritty much my job is on the line and I am scrambleing to try to figure out what exactly to do about this. But my job is kindof on the line here and fankly I am more lost than anything else.

So it's required for a practical project then?, and not just a homework question?.

In that case you should move to the 21st century and use a micro-controller rather than multiple IC's - it's then merely a software probelm, not a hardware one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back