Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Counter Circuit 000 to 999 to be used on a Tape measure NOT WORKING

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thedatsun

I have a design for a counter that counts from 000 to 999 UP and Down on a LCD using a 555 timer to supply the signal CMOS ICs 4027 with a 4060 for the timing gate, 4029 Up/down counter, and 4543 for the LCD. However I am unsure why it will not count or at least display on the LCD. The only feedback I get is the blinking decimal and middle notches and not a full digit.

The counter is set up based on the diameter of the wheel that will be used on a Tape measure which equates to A mod 6 counter because the amount of pulses per revolution of the wheel.

Is there a problem with my Logic for the 4027 Gates?

Can someone examine the circuit and tell me if it will count from 000 to 999 with a leading zero?

Also can someone also tell me perferrably with a diagram how and where to wire in a Reset switch?

Where to wire in LEDs (2) to show max and min terms ?

Also where is the Phase A and B signal located in this circuit?

Thanks in advance for the help

Attachments

• Counter.jpg
    Counter.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 314
  • final.jpg
    final.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 294
Last edited:
Start by just having your LCD and drivers, hard wire the drivers to display a certain number then work back from there.

Once you have got the LCD part working you can debug (if necessary) the counting part of the circuit.

Whenever you have a circuit that doesn't work, often by breaking it down into simpler "modules", you can discover what the issue is.

You do know that count to feet is not a linear function. I had to deal with this, but I had help. I don't have the equation any more. It does use initial diameter and turns. As the tape winds the diameter increases. It is solvable using integration. and s=rθ

If you know the tape thickness and the initial and final tape roll diameter you can calc. the tape length. Then each reel revolution adds a tiny but changing amount of tape length.

For a 6" reel with a 2" hub the tape area A is PI([3^2] - [1^2]) sq. inches. With a tape thickness of t the total tape length is A/t.

The first reel revolution n = 1 gives you approximately PIx2 inches of tape length and the last n = ? gives you ~PIx6, assuming t << hub diameter.

This gets interesting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back