Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Countdown Timer with Keypad

Status
Not open for further replies.

carvolution

Hi all
I have just stumbled upon your forum and I have had a serch around for what im after but I keep finding things that are well over my head!!

Bascially I play a game called "Airsoft", which is similar to paintball, but it is played with realistic immatition guns and its about 1000 times more tactical than paintball. And its bascially a military similution.

What we need for extra game types rather than our usual "Find the enemy and take the base" games is a type of briefcase bomb that sets off a loud siren when the timer ends.

I have had a play around and made something with a car turbo timer and a few relays to a car alarm siren.

It worked really well last week but now the place where we play wants me to build a better one.

So what I need is a countdown timer that has a display on it for the time remaining, a keypad to enter in a time, and maybe some type of system that allows us to maybe enter in a code to unlock the device to automatically start the timer, so that a code has to be found to start the timer. And of course, when the timer hits the end of a countdown, it sets of a siren?

As I am pretty much dumb to building circuts, is there anything out there that can already do this sort of thing or is someone on here willing to build a circut for us and of course we would be willing to pay you for your time.
Thanks in advance to reading my rammblings!!

This is begging for a PIC. See the micro-controller forum on this web site.

Dude - I love airsoft! :D I must ask what guns you have? Me and my friends play all the time :D

And this is totally begging for a micro-controller. It's basically a tiny computer-on-a-chip. You program to do what you want. In your case, you would have it count down from a certain time, while showing that on the display.

Here's a display your probably thinking of:

**broken link removed**

It would also connect to a keypad so it can get the time from you, and the code to stop/start timer.

**broken link removed**

And of course, you need a siren! This could be in the form of a buzzer, or a serious alarm siren!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back