Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cool Looking Electronic Components

Status
Not open for further replies.

MOSFET KILLER

I have been going through my vast heaps of electronic components in an effort to organize things and I have found some cool looking components in there. Some of which include:
2 SOT-227 (ISOTOP) IGBTs
1 Glass Encapsulated Resistor
A Few Vacuum Tubes

What kind of cool looking components have you found laying around in your parts boxes?

Probably a tube, but it was an odd one. An 85V reference vacuum tube that came out of an old oscilloscope calibrator. I looked up the data sheets and everything, basically a "zener diode" function in an octal tube IIRC. 85 volts +/- a few volts at a few milliamps current.

IMHO the klystron and magnetron look VERY cool.... much more mysterious and serious looking then almost any other electronic component.

Attachments

• Aust.-Synchrotron,-Klystron-for-Storage-Ring,-14.06.2007.jpg
    Aust.-Synchrotron,-Klystron-for-Storage-Ring,-14.06.2007.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 473
  • Magnetron_Tube_2M319H_935_65.jpg
    Magnetron_Tube_2M319H_935_65.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 310
When I worked on radar we had magnetrons like in the image. The magnets would suck a watch off your wrist...

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Try being in the same room with an NMR machine!! It will remove your belt buckle at 10-15 feet and your pants will drop from both gravity and sheer surprise! I have one of these where I work at.

Attachments

• NMR300.JPG
    NMR300.JPG
    674.9 KB · Views: 330
I have a couple of these little igbts:
**broken link removed**
3300V, 1200A continuous.

I also have some "hockey puck" style SCRs that are the same size as a real hockey puck.

Last edited:
Try being in the same room with an NMR machine!! It will remove your belt buckle at 10-15 feet and your pants will drop from both gravity and sheer surprise! I have one of these where I work at.

When we were taking our daughter round Universities looking at Chemistry departments, they all had them - York (where she's gone) had two, the 'old' one, and the new BIG one - but we were only allowed to look down at that one, it has it's own balcony :D

All the others we were allowed to enter the room, after been advised to leave watches outside.

Just your watches? Not credit cards and belt buckles? Wallets w/ magnetic striped cards will get trashed real quick unless kept at 15' or more... and even that that's subject to the field of the unit being observed. I know those units cost thousands to start up. If the liquid nitrogen is left unmonitored, it can cost tens of thousands of dollars (US) to restart the machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back